Kremmen wrote:
We were having a discussion in the office yesterday about this. None of us could understand why anyone would fall for an interest only mortgage?
At the end of the term you still don't own the house and could be quite a way off.
When I started my mortgage in 1983 I had to fight tooth and nail to get a bog standard repayment mortgage as they were going on and on (and on) about an endowment one, which I definitely didn't want. And I was subsequently proved right

I took an endowment around the same time but was very careful to plan ahead... I cashed the endowment in around 1994 and paid around 60% of my mortgage off with it. (They did exceptionally well over these years).
The rest I converted to repayment and over paid it from time to time within the t&c . In 2005 I cleared it completely.
Interest only is simply renting property from the bank with having the huge liability hanging over you. Great little scam the banks managed to pull off.
If property values fall the mortgage holder is left holding the loss whilst the bank laughs all the way to the emm bank......
You will recall Government were pulling out all the stops to get the sheeple to buy into this..