News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:30 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
Don't forget I have two lovely electric radiators here if you need them Jim

Jane, thank you for the name of the boiler people - I will give them a ring next week


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Sunshine wrote:
I used British Gas for my gas supplier for years and have only recently changed because of the price hikes. I never had a complaint about the supply, billing or customer services for supply

I just didn't like their attitude when it came to quoting for a new boiler - they wanted to do a survey on the house when all I wanted was a new boiler. I wasn't having their rep examining my radiators, windows, doors, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation when all I wanted was a new boiler.

They said they couldn't quote without doing the survey so I told them where to go (quite rudely I'm afraid)

I hope you get your heating sorted out soon Jim and if you want to borrow a couple of electric radiators let me know and I'll bring them over for you.

:D

PS I still need a new boiler so if you can recommend a good company please let me know


Yep - when I got my new one a few years ago BG were over double what the manufacturers local representatives wanted. I got a new Johnson & Starley warm air and hot water combo for 2½K, BG wanted almost £6K for the same.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Kremmen wrote:
Sunshine wrote:
I used British Gas for my gas supplier for years and have only recently changed because of the price hikes. I never had a complaint about the supply, billing or customer services for supply

I just didn't like their attitude when it came to quoting for a new boiler - they wanted to do a survey on the house when all I wanted was a new boiler. I wasn't having their rep examining my radiators, windows, doors, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation when all I wanted was a new boiler.

They said they couldn't quote without doing the survey so I told them where to go (quite rudely I'm afraid)

I hope you get your heating sorted out soon Jim and if you want to borrow a couple of electric radiators let me know and I'll bring them over for you.

:D

PS I still need a new boiler so if you can recommend a good company please let me know


Yep - when I got my new one a few years ago BG were over double what the manufacturers local representatives wanted. I got a new Johnson & Starley warm air and hot water combo for 2½K, BG wanted almost £6K for the same.


That's outrageous.. I had a Baxi 32kw system boiler installed last Winter by a local plumber and a couple of rads changed. He also had to upgrade the supply to a 22mm pipe from the meter.
£1600.00 the job.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
Can you let me have the name of the plumber please (if he's local to me in Cowley)

I want more than one quote

thanks

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
sure thing will see what he is like as wont forward rubbish, when job is done I will mark him out of 10 for you strange thing he was the last I tried and he only lives 100 yards from me in the same road. :o :) ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
BG came to my house a fortnight ago (after a wait of 3 weeks) to repair my boiler which is making a screaming noise.

We let the guy in who tinkered about for a while before showing us some paperwork which was for a routine service. What about the noise? we asked, to be told he wasn't a repair technician, he is only here to do a service (which we didnt ask for)

We had paid in advance for the visit (or they wont come out) and now have to pay again for the repair. I have lodged a complaint and asked that we pay only one call out fee as we never asked for the service. I am not holding out much hope

BG are worse than useless. They are too big and are only interested in profits and not customer care


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
SOT wrote:
BG came to my house a fortnight ago (after a wait of 3 weeks) to repair my boiler which is making a screaming noise.

We let the guy in who tinkered about for a while before showing us some paperwork which was for a routine service. What about the noise? we asked, to be told he wasn't a repair technician, he is only here to do a service (which we didnt ask for)

We had paid in advance for the visit (or they wont come out) and now have to pay again for the repair. I have lodged a complaint and asked that we pay only one call out fee as we never asked for the service. I am not holding out much hope

BG are worse than useless. They are too big and are only interested in profits and not customer care


If the boiler is still making the screaming noise (sounds like a pump issue) then complain that the tech did not complete the service correctly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
It's the BG engineers (or whatever you call them) that let them down. I also reckon they don't have enough in depth knowledge. In my case one of the problems on the old boiler that they failed to diagnose was a faulty air flow sensor.

The manufacturers recommended agent spotted it straight away and had it fixed/adjusted in seconds. The fault was that the air was puffing in summer when the outside temp got above 23 when the boiler wasn't lit.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Posts: 288
this price for a boiler is a rip off
how can one cost thousands ?
get a nice second hand car for that
i would think , no boiler should cost more than a few hundred £ £500 max


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Market economics..

Create a cartel and you can charge what you like. This is what the energy suppliers do.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke