Jon wrote:
What a nightmare Westonman! I absolutely HATE form filling, and one of the reasons I look forward to one day retiring is the thought of not having to worry about that sort of thing.... looks like I've got that one totally wrong then doesn't it!!!
Sorry Jon, the prospects are not good. Currently as a pensioner, if you have more income sources than the basic State Pension, or/and you have any reserves in savings etc. then HMRC want to know about every penny you have and try to take it from you. If you have savings, then HMRC will ASSUME you are receiving an interest rate of 10% and tax code you accordingly – even though interest rates on savings haven't been anywhere near 10% for about 30 years.
Letters from HMRC invariably come with menacing threats of fines/ high interest rates on 'unpaid' income tax, etc. In my experience, the tone of HMRC's letters generally assume the taxpaying pensioner is guilty of unpaid tax, who then has to prove his/her innocence. For pensioners who are less than robust, I can imagine that letters from HMRC can be very frightening. For pensioners who don't have the ability to verify HMRC's tax codes themselves, then paying for an accountant/tax advisor becomes a forced and unnecessary expense.
After my father died I discovered that he was paying for a tax advisor/accountant, even though his total income consisted of the basic State Pension and one very tiny private pension, where his total income didn't even come close to exceeding the tax threshold for his circumstances.
I truly believe that officialdom views pensioners as an easy source of illegal tax income.
When George Osborne announced that he was freezing the Age Tax Allowance for pensioners I wrote to my local MP, who passed my letters to David Gauke MP at the Treasury. Gauke replied to me via my MP, this resulted our exchanging letters via my MP. Gauke came across as a very unpleasant individual indeed, one who clearly has little regard for pensioners – I suspect, even holding them in contempt. About that time, the freezing of the Age Allowance was debated in the Commons and televised live. During that debate Gauke manifested the same unpleasantness towards pensioners that I had seen in his letters. The man clearly has no appreciation of the additional costs that many pensioners have to bear, expecaily if they have any kind of health/disabilty issue that results in expenditure that non-pensioners don't have to meet.
A lot of fuss is created by the political elite about free buss passes for pensioners. The truth is, many of we pensioners are unable to use a bus, even if we wanted to - I am one of those . The Age Allowance was one method of recognising the additional costs pensioners have to meet - sadly, Mr Gauke, along with many other members of this sad Coalition, are unable/unwilling to recognise essential expenditure costs for pensioners.
This is Gauke:
http://www.davidgauke.com/