News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
These machines can accept up to £100 stakes and offer payouts of £500.

They are a serious problem to addicted gamblers on our High Streets where persons can just walk in from the street and just start playing.
I know of at least one family which was broken up from an addiction to these machines!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20981962

Quote:
The government has ruled out a crackdown on high-stakes gambling machines from betting shops despite warnings about their addictive nature.
The machines can accept stakes of up to £100 and offer prizes of £500.
Culture minister Hugh Robertson said there was little evidence they caused serious problems despite an MP calling them the "crack cocaine" of gambling.


Any fool (other than the poorly educated and hopelessly addicted) can see any fruit machines are a licence for the owners to print money.

Ask yourselves why you never see groups of betting shops in the more affluent areas say like Epsom (or dare I say it) Ruislip yet in Hayes they are pretty much on every street corner.
These firms deliberately site betting shops to take advantage of the poorly educated who think they can actually win something. When was the last time you saw a betting shop go out of business?

Looks like another Minister has been offered a directorship by the of the big chains (when he leaves office) to drive policy in the direction of money creation for bookmakers rather than looking after the interests of the little people.

Low stakes machines in pubs (licensed premises only not takeaway's) with max payout of £10.00 are fine as amusements but something has to be done about these high stakes machines.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:47 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
I must be a bit thick as I hate these machines (low or high value ones) and who would risk £100 just to get £300 back (but probably not!)???

I listened to a phone in this morning and discovered that in the slot machine capital of the world - La Vegas - some Casinos have slot machines next to their urinals :o Forget the hygiene side for a moment, I cannot believe some men are so hooked to gambling they need to point Percy at the porcelain with one hand, whilst throwing quarters or dollars into a gaming machine with the other. Surely that must be the point where you accept you are ill?

Other Casinos use your credit card, so you are automatically debited or credited straight in/ou of your bank when you finish. You don't even get the (mildly) exciting noise of the change being regurgitated out of the machine's mouth!

I just do not understand it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I'm quite happy to play the 1p and 2p machines on holiday but that's it.

I can't understand those that live in the bookies. surely they must realise that they are never going to win in the end ?


Having said that, I do have a lottery line each week :)

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
Disgusting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
SOT wrote:
I must be a bit thick as I hate these machines (low or high value ones) and who would risk £100 just to get £300 back (but probably not!)???

I listened to a phone in this morning and discovered that in the slot machine capital of the world - La Vegas - some Casinos have slot machines next to their urinals :o Forget the hygiene side for a moment, I cannot believe some men are so hooked to gambling they need to point Percy at the porcelain with one hand, whilst throwing quarters or dollars into a gaming machine with the other. Surely that must be the point where you accept you are ill?

Other Casinos use your credit card, so you are automatically debited or credited straight in/ou of your bank when you finish. You don't even get the (mildly) exciting noise of the change being regurgitated out of the machine's mouth!

I just do not understand it!


I spent a few days in Las Vegas 3 years ago. I had an early flight back and came down about 6.00am to get some coffee from the 24 hour lobby shop. There were quite a few people still playing the fruit machines on the gaming floors at this time of the morning. Never saw any in any Gents loo's though.

The hotel bars though were all festooned with bingo machines (they call it keno) so much you had to lean over to get your drink and pay the barman. If you were sat down playing the barman would give you free drinks if you tipped him a $ or 2.

I spent a week in LA and also visited friends in Sedona Arizona. Vegas was the easiest airport to fly home from.

Trouble with a gambling addicted persons don't know they are hooked and 'that big win' is just around the corner.

This repugnant government allows the likes of William Hill, Betfred and all the others to site shops in our poorest communities and fill them with up to 4 of these machines to deliberately take advantage of the poorest in our societies.

Gambling addiction does not confine itself to the poor, but you are unlikely to find educated professional people playing fruit machines. These people will be hooked on roulette and poker.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
I was watching on Kingshill Avenue the other evening where there are two bookies within spitting distance of each other. There were loads of young guys going between the two - all Eastern Europeans. They had obviously won something from the noise they made. No doubt they lost it again as they stayed in the bookies :(

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 329
Bookie only lets you look after it for him. A day or two later, he has it back and lets somebody else look after it.

_________________
Posts often deleted................Why? I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke