News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Kremmen wrote:
I looked at Toyota but got concerned with all these recent recalls.

The next Kremmobile will be another Civic some time next year.


We did think about Honda as it always has good reviews, but our previous car was a Toyota (Avensis), and we loved that car. Hubby travelled 50 miles a day in it, and never had any problems, so I suppose it's the luck of the draw! :D

And now we have a battery car!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Often considered going down the chip pan diesel route but it would invalidate the manufacturers warranty at a stroke. They even gave me a flyer saying I must not put Morrisons bio diesel in it or that would also invalidate the warranty.

My Mondeo 2l tdci estate only does about 36mpg around town.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Moley wrote:
Yikes, thats a big difference in consumption Jim. Nice motors though.

Got a JEEP diesel now so far the average mpg is around 25 but its all around town motoring not been on a run yet so it can only get better 8-) 8-)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I did the maths before I decided whether to get a petrol or diesel Civic.

I do 40 miles a day.

It worked out that the fuel saving cost was wiped out by the increased purchase price plus the higher annual servicing cost.

I reckon you need to be doing nearer to 20k miles a year rather than my 11k to break even.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
geezer466 wrote:
Often considered going down the chip pan diesel route but it would invalidate the manufacturers warranty at a stroke. They even gave me a flyer saying I must not put Morrisons bio diesel in it or that would also invalidate the warranty.

My Mondeo 2l tdci estate only does about 36mpg around town.....


Our Corsa is out of warranty now - so nothing to lose :-)

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Pam wrote:
Do you cook your chips at the same time? ;)


lol .... thankfully the chemical takes out the chip fat smell. My daughter has an older diesel and uses straight cooking oil in hers ..... it smells like chips :lol:

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
My stepson used to use cooking oil in his - his girlfriend worked in a fast food shop and he used to use all their old cooking oil. You could smell burger and chips when he started the engine LOL. The engine went on strike after a few months - I reckon he didn't filter the oil enough ........

I used to have a Vauxhall Cavalier and had to go to Monorep for spare parts. It's sad when businesses have to close down - there's too much of that lately.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:29 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Sunshine wrote:
The engine went on strike after a few months - I reckon he didn't filter the oil enough ........
add a little vinegar or ketchup :cry: :?

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Monorep
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:24 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 280
I had an old Corsa and ran that on cooking oil for the last year of its life, I did put diesel in first but then topped up with cooking oil. The only thing I found was that it stank when I started it but apart from that I was quids in


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke