News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20164228

Quote:
Comet, the electrical retailer, is close to going into administration, putting about 6,000 jobs at risk, reports say.

The company, bought by private equity firm OpCapita last year for just £2, has struggled from the downturn in consumer spending.


Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the differences are between Comet and say Amazon? Except of course the obvious one being one is an online retailer the other has many Hight Street and retail park shops!!

Just another example as to why our High Streets and retail parks are changing beyond all recognition....


Last edited by geezer466 on Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I've been into Comet just to physically see the goods before ordering online.

Even the Comet stores won't compete with their own online price which seems silly to me. It annoys the sales people when I explain exactly what I'm doing.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Comets biggest problem is as is the same for any High Street retailer is they have to pay Business rates and tax. let alone utility charges to heat their huge sheds and wages for the army of sales staff they have. The likes of Amazon do not and as has been proved lately due to fancy off shore schemes are paying less and less tax.

The High Street simply cannot compete and the situation is going to get worse.

I must admit I bought a hi def Samsung TV from Comet last year but that was simply because I wanted to use some spare cash I had. If this was not the case I would have bought online for the extra consumer protection is gives you as well as the lower prices.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Finally gone bust I see

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 280
oooo cheap goods going must pop over to mine and have a look whats on offer


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
We've always been and told the Hayes store what we can buy online for and they match the price !

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Last edited by jane on Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
Very sad... I'm reading this outside a Costa staring at a Comets!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
When we needed a new washing machine and fridge freezer last year I used John Lewis online.

Better price, longer initial guarantee and a better service. Arrived when they said they would, unpacked them and took the packing away.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Best bet is John Lewis you wont get cheaper, or a better service, 8-) 8-)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
I stopped shopping at Comet years ago. Their customer service was non existent as it consisted of a swarm of cocky commission led salesmen rushing you as you walked in. If you took too long to buy, they get the hump. If you wanted a £9.99 kettle, they'd treat you like shite and if you asked them a technical question they'd just read the label on the appliance.

I have used Euronics (proper sales staff from an independent shop with a franchised image) or - as Jim says, John Lewis. Quite often you get a 2 year warranty from JL and staff who have been trained, polite and speak English as their first language,

I notice Dixons shares rallied today. I reckon if I had any, I would probably sell them now as the only way is down with electrical retail now the www is king


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke