News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Tue Oct 06, 2026 12:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 183  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
There have been a number of reports of snow showers falling in East Anglia overnight, and I can confirm the first snow of the season here in Northwood at about 7.15 this morning.

It was a brief but quite heavy snow shower, and we may see one or two more in parts of our region during the rest of today, though I would think any further showers are more likely to fall as sleet or rain.

Stay warm folks. Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
You're becoming unpopular Moley! ;) ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
My daughter said she saw the snow at 8am this morning in Hillingdon ( I don't know if it snowed in Hayes - I was still snoozing) :-)

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Pam wrote:
You're becoming unpopular Moley! ;) ;)


:( :( Now thats not nice Pam, I only try and predict the weather, I haven't yet mastered the art of controlling it ;) Anyways, I think Jane was in the best place when yesterdays snow fell !!

If its any consolation today ( Sunday ) should be a bit milder but rain is on the way, and the week ahead is likely to remain on the cool side of average, and fairly unsettled. Maximum temperatures about 9-11c ( 48-52f ), and remaining just above freezing overnight for most of London and The South East. Showers or longer spells of rain just about anytime during the week, so back to the Autumnal norm really.

I had to scrape ice off my car this morning for the first time in months. Not what I wanted after a cold night shift at work. While discussing this very brief cold snap with other weather fans on another website I put forward the light hearted idea of introducing a new weather measuring scale........

Along the lines of The Beufort Scale for wind strengths ( ie: gale force 9 etc ) or the Category Scale for Hurricanes ( ie: Cat 1- Cat 5 ) etc I suggested a Layer Index scale for degrees of coldness. Not making much sense at the moment am I ? Forgive me.......it was a long night at work !! Anyway it caught on at the other website and it works like this.

Here I will call it Moleys LI ( Layer Index )

The Layer part of it refers to how many Layers of clothing I need to wear on the top half of my body to feel remotely warm whilst at work, which to all intents and purposes is outside.

So for example.....Friday night I had to wear 4 Layers which consisted of:

A Thermal vest, a polo shirt, a sweatshirt, and a lightweight windcheater/showerproof jacket. Hence Moleys LI was 4.

Saturday night, although actually colder temperature wise, the wind had dropped, so I left a layer off and survived. Hence Moleys LI was 3

I hope this is beginning to make a bit of sense by now, its just for a bit of fun. In past winters at work Ive got as high as a Moley LI of 7, by which time I resembled Michellen Man and could barely move, but thats another story.

For the purpose of this experiment additional items such as Thermalite hats, gloves, scarves, snoods and high viz jackets ( all of which I have and occassionaly wear ) will be considered as accessories, and do not count towards the LI.

On a more serious note, Hurricane/TS Sandy is a major concern for parts of the North East USA, and Ive done an update on my Worlwide Weather Thread, hopefully this link will work :

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=247&start=40

**UPDATED....I see SOT has just posted on that thread......SOT I will try and PM you.

Moley


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Only joking Moley! :oops: :oops: I think you're doing a great job! :D :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Moley wrote:
.....................Anyone planning to travel further afield might want to look up Tropical Storm Sandy. The Eastern Seaboard of the USA may get interesting next week........

Moley 8-)


This is bad, very bad. For anyone wanting to follow events as they unfold I can recommend the live coverage on CNN ( tv ) and The Weather Channel on You Tube.

Tropical Storm/ Hurricane/Post Tropical Storm Sandy ( she has been through several stages on her journey from the mid Atlantic to the East Coast of the USA via The Caribbean) made landfall shortly before midnight GMT.

Moley :(


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
**UPDATED TUESDAY OCTOBER 30TH**

There are early indications of some stormy weather in prospect towards the end of this week in the South East.

The potential is there for some heavy rainfall on Thursday, but its Friday I am keeping a particular watch on and the main threat is for gales or severe gales through The English Channel and into the southern reaches of The North Sea.

If the computer models pan out Southern and Eastern Coastal counties ( Sussex, Kent, Essex, Suffolk ) could be looking at winds of 50-60mph. More updates to follow.

Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Moley wrote:
Moley wrote:
.....................Anyone planning to travel further afield might want to look up Tropical Storm Sandy. The Eastern Seaboard of the USA may get interesting next week........

Moley 8-)


This is bad, very bad. For anyone wanting to follow events as they unfold I can recommend the live coverage on CNN ( tv ) and The Weather Channel on You Tube.

Tropical Storm/ Hurricane/Post Tropical Storm Sandy ( she has been through several stages on her journey from the mid Atlantic to the East Coast of the USA via The Caribbean) made landfall shortly before midnight GMT.

Moley :(


We shouldn't moan about our weather should we!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
^^ You are right there Pam

Here in the UK we are blessed with some of the most benign weather anywhere in the world, especially given our location so far north.

The Gulf Stream is largely responsible for our temperate climate, without it our winters would be far harsher. We do occasionaly get severe weather, but nothing on the scale of what the USA and other countries experience.

Moley :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Moley can you stop it reaching Hayes please ...... I don't like the Wind :-(

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42 ... 183  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke