News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:47 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
Nothing as far as I can tell. Our family has had to call on it a lot over the past 7 years and it's been superb. I've had my own little health scare the past couple of weeks and once again I can't fault it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I think the main problem is that it hasn't kept pace with the ever rising population.

In the early days you went into hospital, you had a proper matron in charge and you were given a proper period of convalescence.

My Mrs has been in hospital a lot in the last few years and Kennedy ward in Hill Hosp has been the pits. Filthy dirty, nurses who can't understand English, don't particular care, etc.
It took 3 complaints, the final one including PALS to get her bed changed as it was broken (electrics) and wouldn't adjust. It also had a broken frame so they had put 2 mattresses on it to compensate. Problem was that after major spinal surgery she couldn't climb onto the bed as it was now too high. Plus not adjusting made it very uncomfortable with half her spine locked out with rods. The nurses couldn't have cared less and she was close to tears on many occasions.

She wet the bed 3 times in 5 days as even though she pressed the buzzer almost continually at times and a nurse eventually came they disappeared and never came back with a bedpan.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
That's really bad Kremmen.
I've been a patient in Hillingdon quite a few times over the years, and couldn't fault it, but I have heard that it's not the best anymore. Since moving here I've had major surgery in Frimley, and it was excellent.
I do hope your wife is up and about now.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Nope, not really.

She's had 3 lots of spinal surgery @ 6 hours a pop since 2009 and now has severe sciatica in both legs and the back is a killer as well. The spinal ops have hopefully now finished as it's now fused (with the help of the rods) and the next stage is the pain relief.

Currently on 16 high power pain killers a day. 8 Tramadol and 8 Co-dydramol, or however it's spelt.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Your poor wife. Must be so depressing for you both. x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
What is the most depressing is the gaps between consultant appointments. Usually circa 3 months but the current wait is 4 months. All that's happened in the meantime is an in-depth super scan at a specialist centre at the Royal Free in Hampstead.

One good thing though is that she qualified for a Freedom pass so she can get around for free :)

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
People I know that have been in Hillingdon recently call it "Killingdon"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
That's dreadful Kremmen.

Our experiences have been with GPs and hospital in Norfolk; GPs and hospital in Frimely near Farnborough; and GP in Hayes. All been superb. Actually, St George's Tooting has also come into the picture... they seem to have a bit of problem with communicating with each other there, and with us since my dad had a major op there.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
I've had more dealings with the NHS ( both personally, and with immediate family ) than I can remember over the last 5-6 years, and the experiences have veered between excellent, through average, to downright negligent.

First of all Kremmen my best wishes to your wife and yourself. I have so far only had one major spinal operation, and vowed no matter what I would not go through that again. She is one brave person to go through 3 of them. Has she ever been prescribed Diclofenac as a painkiller ? I have been on those for about 4 years now and have always found them more of a relief than multiple paracetomols etc. I also wear a patch 24/7 which releases painkilling substances into the bloodstream, but cannot mention them here because although they are a legally prescribed ( by my consultant and GP ) and legitimate product, they are classified as a controlled drug.

I may tell you about the bad experiences I have had with the NHS at a later time, but for now I thinks its fair I relay the positive side.

About 5 years ago my perfectly healthy youngest Son ( he was 26 at the time ) got out of bed one morning, and with no warning at all collapsed to the floor, screaming with pain and blacked out. Thankfully his partner and their child were there at the time and dialled 999 as soon as the realised how serious this might be.

They live in Fulham, just off the Fulham Palace Road, and within minutes an ambulance arrived and took him straight to the nearest hospital, which happens to be Charring Cross Hospital not 10 minutes away.

The first call I got was to tell me he was in intensive care, and I might want to get there as soon as possible. I was still recovering from my back operation, went up on the tube and was shaking like a leaf when I got there.

I wont bore you with too many details but basically my Son had suffered a massive brain heamorage due to an anuerism ( I cant spell the words ), and was in intensive care for almost 3 weeks.

Thanks to the skill and dedication of the NHS staff at Charring Cross he not only pulled through, he's gone on return to his job as a scaffolder, working 6 days a week, plays football again, and has given me another beautiful Grandaughter.

I very much doubt any of that would be possible without the NHS, and I am forever grateful to them.

Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Superb story Moley. It just shows it can be done with a caring team.

She can't have Diclofenac because that is an anti-inflamatory and that interferes with the fusion process apparently. She was accidentally given it once or twice soon after the op in hospital and it did help somewhat. She reckoned that that gave her the best relief of all of them. The next time the nurse came round she was told that it was now off the menu on the consultants orders due to the above.

Now that she's just over a year since the last op I've told her to ask the GP about going back onto it as the fusion process must now surely be complete ? It's falling on deaf ears though as she keeps forgetting. I even suggested some Nurofen as a test to see if the anti-inflamatory process might help as that is what we reckon is now the problem along with the scar tissue.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke