News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:53 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
Thanks to Youtube and cars now taking memory sticks, I am really wallowing in nostalgia. I am finding every song I ever liked hearing on the radio from the time I could walk and talk, playing them on Youtube and recording them onto my PC, then downloading onto a memory stick for listening to in the car!

I must just share this one... what a voice....




http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fv ... 0dmK7O-KSY


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 280
:lol: Very good


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Excellent! :cry: :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
There's a very sad video on Youtube of him singing it in 2003 at an open air event in New Zealand. He looks very old and frail and very few people were taking any notice. He still had a good voice and the pianist accompanying him was excellent. Apparently it was five months before he died. There's a lot of criticism from viewers of his family that he should have been out there performing at that stage in his life, but that's just daft. You could see he was in his element and quite obviously enjoyed performing. Very sad though that no one seemed to be taking much notice.

I had totally, totally forgotten until I stumbled across this video that I was in Barker's of Kensington once, probably about 1979, when I was a teenage GPO telephones apprentice (I was working in the 937 exchange nearby). He was in there signing copies of an LP he'd just brought out. I had bought the Whispering Grass single and played it to death, so I bought one of his LPs and had a few words with him as he signed it. As I say, I'd totally forgotten about it, came back to me just the other evening when I was showing this Youtube vid to my folks. I'm hoping now I might find the LP somewhere.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 pm
Posts: 663
I remember seeing Don Estelle some years ago in some run-down shopping centre singing with a backing tape perched on a small table. He was trying to sell his CD's but very few people stopped - it was quite sad to see him there. But he still had the voice!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Hello stranger! Hope all is well!

I also remember seeing Don Estelle in a precinct or somewhere, might have been Uxbridge!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 pm
Posts: 663
I'm well Pam and have just found my way back to the board.

Talking about soundtracks of life ....... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BTx8uuSD7Y


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke