News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:41 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Olympic closing ceremony
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
It had its moments, though too much mediocre pop, much of it from way back.

The moment the cauldron opened up again, with the "petals" spreading out to be extinguised was very beautiful and was crying out for being accompanied by some beautiful, serene choral music. So what did we get? "The Who" making a racket with their lead singer belting out something he could presumably sing comfortably 30 or 40 years ago but couldn't any more. What a shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
From what I hear I'm glad I missed it

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
I was a bit sceptical at first, but grew into it quite easy, good coverage of most sports, even the ones I did not understand, the yachting was exelent coverage. ;) ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Fortunately I was at work for most of it.

I did have a chuckle at the front page of 'Private Eye' :

Newsreader "... and in other news the Aliens have invaded Earth"

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Its a shame that such a wonderful Olympic Games had to end with what I thought was a 3rd rate 'pop' concert. I felt sorry for the athletes who had to stand there for so many hours while it droned on and on and on ......zzzz.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
As for the vidio of John Lennon, my mum used to tell me about him. :roll: :roll:

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Imagine :)

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Moley wrote:
Its a shame that such a wonderful Olympic Games had to end with what I thought was a 3rd rate 'pop' concert. I felt sorry for the athletes who had to stand there for so many hours while it droned on and on and on ......zzzz.

most of the unpaid volanteers made up the crowd a nice little thank you. :roll:

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
By all accounts the unpaid volunteers were outstanding ambassadors for GB. I take my hat off to them, all 70,000 of them.Well done


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:42 pm
Posts: 26
Well you will all be pleased to know that as a transport for london foot soldier because of the way my roster falls and with a few days annual leave(3)thrown in I will not be doing my actual job till the Sunday 2nd september oh havent done a stitch since three days before the opening, a few people know what I do on this forum they my tell you I work on the maintenace side of things.

A couple of weeks of going in and being sent home, week and a half of suffolk back to training then another week in suffolk and a week at home fantastic.

Can honestly say that so far its been a brilliant summer with the kids thanks Olympics oh did I mention that I get the big fat bonus as well(850nicka)sorry.

I give it till christmas and everyone will have forgottern, even the name of the first woman boxer to ever win gold without googling it and she was GB, I will remember forever as I went to see her on a free ticket(actual cost £94squid)and was being paid on the company....lovely...point of note you would not pay £50 for a boxing match at Wembley ticket at Hayes working mens £10 so £94 that will be no

I can honestly say its been a disaster just ask the local traders...I DID when I broke out from the hoarding holding the masses in being ripped off by the olympic prices.

Volanteer for that, for nothing are they sure?

Will my council tax go down now....I dont think so.......


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke