News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 10:50 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 183  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:01 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Norfolk took a hit yesterday with some very impressive storm clouds in this link.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/73922- ... try2339936

Those clouds wouldn't look out of place in the Mid-West of the USA.

Fingers crossed for the week ahead, its grey and gloomy outside yet again today with the temperature struggling to reach 16c in the London area. Thats very poor for mid July, sunshine totals have fallen through the floor this summer but you probably don't need me to tell you that.

Relief in sight hopefully!!

Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Just a brief update from me today ( Sunday July 22nd ) as I try and juggle the demands of working nights, and attending hospital/doctors appointments during the day.

Both the Met Office and the BBC are now going for temperatures to peak at around 30c in London and The South East ( cooler on coasts ) by midweek, but this brief flirtation with 'summer' looks to be short-lived as the ridge of High Pressure responsible pulls away to our west. This will probably lead to another regime of cool showery weather, probably from a more Northerly direction.

There is some interest in the potential for a developing Low over Spain to head northwards later in the week ( Friday/Saturday ), and this could lead to a very thundery breakdown for our region during that time. My hunch is this Low will pass further to our East, mainly affecting France and the Low Countries, possibly skirting the far South Eastern corner of the UK.

As always there is pleanty of time for things to change between now and then, but its something I will be trying to keep an eye on, especially since it involves a slight risk of thunderstorms during the Olympic Opening Ceremony on Friday night.

Thanks as always for reading ( and posting ) and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Beautiful day today for our latest grandson's christening!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
Thanks Moley.

I don't know why (as I am usually a very nice person), but I would like to see the deep low and it's associated thunderstorms, park directly over Stratford for a couple of hours on Friday evening.

I reckon the whole evening would look so much better if the crowd & performers donned disposable see-through plastic capes and thousands of bedraggled bodies performed knee deep in flood water (as the drains have failed) were illuminated by lightening as the main stadium lighting system has failed (and the emergency generators were now underwater so won't start).

That would truly say to the world: 'Welcome to Britain" :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I got to the other end of the by-pass without the car getting dirtied by rain :o

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
SOT wrote:
the emergency generators were now underwater so won't start).
That would truly say to the world: 'Welcome to Britain" :roll:

could be, that would make excellent t/v. worth every penny I paid out of my old age pension, for this mega none event, just to see all the jumped up important people soaked to the skin justifying the worth every penny we have been suckered into. :( :(

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Pam wrote:
Beautiful day today for our latest grandson's christening!


Thanks for sharing some good news Pam and Im pleased the weather was on your side !!

Im in a state of flux this week. Its been a bonus working nights when the temperatures have cooled down, but an absolute pita trying to sleep during the day with the mercury reaching 27/30c ( 81/86f ) as it has for much of this week. I would still take that over the previous 6-8 weeks of grey skies and rain though.

So, with The Olympic Opening Ceremony and the weekend rapidly approaching, we shouldn't be too suprised that the weather looks like having another swipe at spoiling our summer.

The problem I have is deciding which direction the change is going to come from. I mentioned in an earlier post the Low Pressure threatening to head north from Spain on Friday. I still expect that system to mostly affect France and The Low Countries on Friday, but the far South Eastern tip of the UK ( East Sussex/Kent in particular ) could well see some of natures fireworks in the process.

For the rest of London and the South East though we are likely to be under the influence of a cold front currently heading south, albeit slowly and erratically. During the day on Friday it should remain mostly dry and still warm, but cooler air will spread in during Friday evening, and there is a chance of some showers breaking out pretty much anywhere in our region.

The outlook for the weekend and into next week is still uncertain, but it will be much cooler and less settled.

Thanks for reading and posting. Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
After spending a warm and muggy night at work ( Heathrow ) I thought I would have a quick look at the current situation in London and The South East for today ( Friday July 27th ), as it stands at 08:00 hours.

Although the radars and fax charts show a fairly messy picture, the thundery Low is behaving pretty much as I thought by taking a more easterly direction as it approached the UK. During the night an area of showers and elevated thunderstorms have run roughly midway through the English Channel in a south west to north east direction. Some of these outbreaks are currently threatening the South Coast in an area roughly from Eastbourne eastwards, into Kent. ( Look out my friends in Hastings !! )

Rainfall amounts and reports from this development are currently small, owing to the fact the storms are elevated, and much of the rainfall is evaporating in a layer of dry air between them and the land surface.

Further inland there is a risk of some heavy and/or thundery outbreaks developing during the late morning and afternoon as the cold front engages with the warm air still over the South East, but many areas should remain dry. Its that hit and miss.

I hope you all enjoy The Opening Ceremony, whatever the weather. Moley 8-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I doubt I will be watching it, I've had my fill of it already.

I've got a few DVD's in stock and some stuff on the PVR I've been recording :D

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:04 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
Thanks Moley

I will be tuning in to the ceremony, as I admire Danny Boyle's innovative vision when it comes to telling stories in 2D on the big screen. So I am intrigued how he is going to manage to do the same in a 3D stage production. I suppose that the huge £27m budget might help!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1824 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 183  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke