News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 am
Posts: 27
na was only like about 3 quid lol rather get rid of the crap.

_________________
www.diamond-mobility.com
SALES SERVICE REPAIRS SPARES
020 8845 7927


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
I took down an old satellite dish from the front of my house the other day. I told my neighbour I'd leave it out on the pavement as people were always looking for scrap. He said he bet it would be gone within a couple of days, and I said what, it'll be gone by tonight.

The next time I went out the house, about two hours later, it was gone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
We put out two old calor gas heaters in our front garden one day and I completed a form, wrote a cheque for the council to come and collect them (about £11). I tucked the form and cheque in my bag so I could post it later in the day.

My husband rang me at lunch time and said how quick they had been - I hadn't even posted the form and cheque by then. We don't know who collected them but it saved us a bit of money :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:43 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Sunshine wrote:
We put out two old calor gas heaters in our front garden one day and I completed a form, wrote a cheque for the council to come and collect them (about £11). I tucked the form and cheque in my bag so I could post it later in the day.

My husband rang me at lunch time and said how quick they had been - I hadn't even posted the form and cheque by then. We don't know who collected them but it saved us a bit of money :lol:


Scrap metal is alive and well. I always put metal waste out the front for a few days to see it it will go before taking it to the dump. Scrap has increased it's value several fold in the last year or two....
I was doing some renovation work indoors a couple of years ago putting in a new bathroom and a bit of work in the left. I found an old copper water tank in the loft (left by a previous owner) and I swapped out a length of lead piping for copper as part of the upgrade... I also reran some heating and moved a boiler (to gain space) and had some scrap copper to add into the mix... Bagged it all up and took it to a scrappy over North Acton, weighed it in and I was pleasantry supplied, kept me in beer money for a good Month.... Most of it was for the lead though....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Cant we ban this person ???

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 am
Posts: 545
Location: Western Australia
Ooops! must have missed that one.
:) ;)

_________________
When a crash seems inevitable, try to hit the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
http://www.postonline.co.uk/post/news/2191577/scrap-metal-dealers-bill-passes-second-reading

Quote:
Conservative MP for Croydon Richard Ottaway's updated version of the Scrap Metal Dealers Act 1964 will grant local councils the power to revoke the licences of dodgy scrap metal dealers and force all dealers to provide detailed accounts of their transactions.
Ottaway told members at the second reading earlier today that the 1964 act was outdated and did not give councils the necessary powers to stamp out metal theft.
"What cannot be overestimated, however, as it is very hard to measure, is the devastating impact that a single theft can have on the lives of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people," he said.


Not before time!!!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
I saw a little of Mr Ottaway's speech (to an almost deserted House) yesterday on the TV. It seems that his constituency ( Croydon west?) has the worst record for metal thefts in the UK, even the MP for Croydon central had suffered a loss when a plaque on his fathers grave had been stolen. He also related a story of someone who had taken their fridge outside to clean it and had it stolen when they left it unattended for a few minutes!

The most significant part of his proposals were to extend the cash-only licensing system to motor salvage yards (in addition to scrap yards). Lets hope it makes it through Parliament and even more important, that there are sufficient Police available when the bill becomes law in order to nick some of these villains


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
SOT wrote:
I saw a little of Mr Ottaway's speech (to an almost deserted House) yesterday on the TV. It seems that his constituency ( Croydon west?) has the worst record for metal thefts in the UK, even the MP for Croydon central had suffered a loss when a plaque on his fathers grave had been stolen. He also related a story of someone who had taken their fridge outside to clean it and had it stolen when they left it unattended for a few minutes!

The most significant part of his proposals were to extend the cash-only licensing system to motor salvage yards (in addition to scrap yards). Lets hope it makes it through Parliament and even more important, that there are sufficient Police available when the bill becomes law in order to nick some of these villains


The offences will be punishable by huge fines (and or confiscation of assets) you can rest assured there will be enough police to sort it.... ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:11 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
How can they implement a restriction on cash payments, impossible !

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke