News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
If it was up to me I'd leave the clocks on GMT all year. I don't see the point of 'Summer Time'.

They reckon it's for the farmers ? I doubt the farmers could give a hoot as they get up at milking time whatever the clocks say.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
It must be the cows then 8-) 8-)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
Kremmen wrote:
If it was up to me I'd leave the clocks on GMT all year. I don't see the point of 'Summer Time'.

They reckon it's for the farmers ? I doubt the farmers could give a hoot as they get up at milking time whatever the clocks say.


Uh?????? No way!!!! If it was up to be, I'd leave them on BST all year. The last thing we need in the depths of winter is to make the evenings even darker.

I'd have BST all year round, or BST in Winter and BST+1 in summer, which is how I remember it in Belgium. Fantastic.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:26 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
during WW2 we had double BST and remember it being light at 10o/c at night. just so them lazy cows could have a lay in. :o :shock:

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:28 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Jon wrote:
Kremmen wrote:
If it was up to me I'd leave the clocks on GMT all year. I don't see the point of 'Summer Time'.

They reckon it's for the farmers ? I doubt the farmers could give a hoot as they get up at milking time whatever the clocks say.


Uh?????? No way!!!! If it was up to be, I'd leave them on BST all year. The last thing we need in the depths of winter is to make the evenings even darker.

I'd have BST all year round, or BST in Winter and BST+1 in summer, which is how I remember it in Belgium. Fantastic.


But we are on GMT in the Winter now ! If we stayed on BST all year then the Winter mornings would be darker for longer, just like Sunday when it didn't get light till nearly 07:00 instead of 06:00 on Saturday morning.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
That's fine by me. Much rather have the light in the evenings.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
The reason the clocks change is due to the effect of daylight in Northern Scotland. The further North you are the later it gets light. If they didn't change the clocks there was an argument more kids would be killed on the way to school in the dark mornings.
I went to Primary school in Lossiemouth on the Moray firth and can remember it just getting light for about half 8. Course the flip side is it is light almost to midnight in Summer and you can sometimes see the effects of the Borealis.

Off course should Salmond get his way then we can go ours.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
Am I the only one that remembers the 3 year experiment back in the late 60's or early 70's when they didn't change the clocks?

It was OK down south but the poor kids going to School in Scotland had to go in the dark which was quite dangerous for them. There's no real answer to this question - it suits a lot of us not to change the clocks but the Scots suffer if we don't


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I must be the only one missing the point here.

When the clocks change to BST from GMT the mornings get darker not lighter !

Last week, at 06:00 when I was just arriving at work it was just starting to get light, now at 06:00 it's pitch dark.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
Jon wrote:
That's fine by me. Much rather have the light in the evenings.


Me too!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke