geezer466 wrote:
Should we be means testing these benefits? The argument here certainly seems to suggest so and that society would be better off for doing so.
I think all benefits should be means tested. The big questions are: Is it possible to return to a culture where the State is very much smaller than it is? And, are the political elite prepared to return to a smaller State? I suspect the answer to the second question is a resounding NO!
But let's first get one thing understood, the State Pensions my generation are collecting were paid for in advance over a full working life, they are an EARNED pension – not a right, nor a state benefit. The new arrangements for the State Pension are considerably different, and easier to qualify for than the terms my generation earned its pension by. As I understand it, new pensioners only have to pay into the system for 30 years to qualify for a full State Pension, and there is no longer any accounting of HOW MUCH is paid into the system over a working life. My generation had to pay in for 44 years to qualify, and what I get out is governed by what I paid in. I actually paid into the State system for 49 years; the five additional years bought me NO additional pension.
Back to the benefits of bus passes, heating allowances, and TV licenses. I think they should never have been introduced. And now I think they should at least be means tested, and preferably be scrapped.
One of the major causes of the current economic mess is the State-dependency culture that has been politically encouraged over the decades. This culture has positively discouraged personal responsibility; and it has given ever-more power to the politicians over our lives.
O.K, I've said I am prepared to lose the bus pass, heating allowance, and TV license. I would also like to see child allowance scrapped too, along with Working Tax Credits, Child Tax Credits, etc. etc. And I see nothing wrong with students having to contribute to their higher education. I did a college-supported employer-based engineering apprenticeship over 5 years. Over those five years my pay was very low, very much lower than today's youth expect to receive for a weeks work and training. Today the emphasis is on 'rights' rather than personal responsibility; on instant success rather than earned rewards.
The reductions in benefits and public spending would significantly reduce the demands on the taxpayer and should leave more untaxed income in the pockets of those who earn their way in the world. Then the 'benefits' should become largely unnecessary, accept for that small minority section of society that is too sick or too disabled to earn its living.
Reducing the benefits system down to the bare minimum would also reduce the opportunity for politicians to interfere in our lives, many of them would become redundant, along with much of the bureaucracy.
Turning to higher education and student loans. I see nothing wrong with students having to contribute to their higher education. I did an engineering apprenticeship over 5 years. Over those five years my 'pay' was very low, very much lower than today's youth expect to receive for a weeks work and training. After completing my apprenticeship I had to work my way up through the ranks; junior engineer, engineer, senior engineer, etc. etc. Today, despite the youth unemployment problem, the emphasis tends to be on 'rights' rather than personal responsibility; on instant success rather than earned rewards. The day release college courses I attended during my apprenticeship had to be paid for in advance by myself. My employer would only refund the course fees if and when I passed the exams at then end of the academic year. I can't see that system be very popular today.
Now I will ask the reciprocal question to the one about pensioner bus passes and heating allowances. Should child allowance, youth bus passes,and all other so-called family benefits be means tested?