Kremmen wrote:
I think Corbyn will make Labour unelectable. There are a small number of activists backing him and the Labour voting membership has apparently risen from 2000 to 6000 with the extra people being his extreme left wing supporters.
He will likely get in but I would be extremely surprised if he takes Labour to victory in 5 years. I would bet Labour would lose more nationwide votes.
If he gets in and they take seats back from the SNP north of the border than that has to be a good thing....
Scotland had a definitive lurch to the left hence the SNP sweeping to power. No such thing happened in England... I would have no problem with Labour becoming the majority party in Scotland. That's the Labour dilemma - the more it appeals to the Scots, the more it alarms the English.
The two countries are on very different and diverging political and economic trajectories; unless the EU implodes, Scottish independence is only a matter of time in my view, and it's becoming near-impossible for Labour to develop a programme of equal appeal north and south of the border.
It's easy to see Scottish Labour splitting off to develop along Scotland-specific lines, particularly given that they're now in survival mode and they've witnessed the success of the 'Corbyn effect' which their English counterparts want nothing to do with.
And it would be great to see that Sturgeon woman taking down a peg or two.......