News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Jon wrote:
Didn't The Who come from Hayes? Isn't there a Dawley Road connection?



I don't think any members of The Who came from Hayes but I'm pretty certain at least one member of the band The Sweet, lead singer ( Brian Connolly ) did.

http://www.thesweet.com/biography/evolution/

Despite my fading memory I am pretty certain his missus at the time worked in a hairdressers on the bridge next to Hayes station, and cut my hair. I was working on the the Westlands site then, so thats where I went for my haircut. That would have been about 1974/75. David Bowie was my idol and I was persuaded to have my hair dyed bright orange. Oh the shame of it when I think back. They were good times though !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:03 pm 
Moley wrote:
Jon wrote:
Didn't The Who come from Hayes? Isn't there a Dawley Road connection?



I don't think any members of The Who came from Hayes but I'm pretty certain at least one member of the band The Sweet, lead singer ( Brian Connolly ) did.

http://www.thesweet.com/biography/evolution/

Despite my fading memory I am pretty certain his missus at the time worked in a hairdressers on the bridge next to Hayes station, and cut my hair. I was working on the the Westlands site then, so thats where I went for my haircut. That would have been about 1974/75. David Bowie was my idol and I was persuaded to have my hair dyed bright orange. Oh the shame of it when I think back. They were good times though !


Top of the Pops, early 70's, high heels, eyeliner, lippo, glitterdust


....and that was just the blokes !


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
I'm sure I was told there was a link with Dawley Cottages...one of them lived there once or something.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:06 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 pm
Posts: 221
Cliff Bennet { and the Rebel Rousers}was a Hayes boy always enjoyed him, Ron Wood { Stones}from West Drayton, Daltry [The Who}from Sheperd Bush, Rexy could not carry a song in a bucket.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
News Flash from the English coastal area

the Royal Navy intercepted
three boatloads of people off the coast of Kent today. This placed
the Navy in an awkward position, as the boats were not heading to,
but away from Kent towards France . Another surprise finding was
that they were loaded with British people who were all seniors of
pension age. Their claim was that they were trying to get to
Calais so as to be able to return to the UK as illegal immigrants
and therefore be entitled to far more benefits than they were
receiving as legitimate UK pensioners. The Navy, it is believed,
gave them food, water and fuel and assisted them on their
journey.

We are booking the next boat out;
let me know if you want to come.

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:54 pm 
The worst thing about that post is that it's almost credible!

There's probably some old boy over in Germany who went over as one of the 'victors' liberating Belsen, met some young fraulein, decided to stay and settle in Hannover, had his kids there, who needless to say would have been better educated, enjoys a vastly superior environment and standard of living and thinks 'thank god I never went back !'


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:57 pm
Posts: 49
if my memory serves me right brian conolly of the sweet lived in clayton road and the singer of the ruts lived in dawley cottages that was known as rut row


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:33 am 
hayesboy wrote:
if my memory serves me right brian conolly of the sweet lived in clayton road and the singer of the ruts lived in dawley cottages that was known as rut row


The first bloke drank himself to death and Malcolm Owen died of a smack overdose


............................any linkage to residence in Hayes, Middx is purely coincidental ;)


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
In the early 70's I used to do a part-time Mini cab job. We used to often pick up Sweet family members and they lived in one of the roads under the Hayes to Harlington flyover. Could have been Savoy Avenue but I can't remember.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Kremmen wrote:
In the early 70's I used to do a part-time Mini cab job. We used to often pick up Sweet family members and they lived in one of the roads under the Hayes to Harlington flyover. Could have been Savoy Avenue but I can't remember.


That sounds feasible Kremm. At the time I was working on the old Westlands site and one of the guys I worked with at the time was a member of a local band who often hung around with the Sweet. He lived in Croyde Avenue and said he was near neighbours and friends with members of the Sweet.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke