News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
That's weird. Nov 5th, bonfire night, the air was always full of smoke and the smell of bonfires and fireworks. Drove through Hayes at 10pm last night and it was totally clear. Has everyone given up on Guy Fawkes night?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
There were loads of pops and bangs around 19:00 to 21:00

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
We didn't get too many around here either. Maybe people can't afford them this year?

I was pleased though as Timba wasn't upset for too long


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Its diwali

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 am 
Jon wrote:
That's weird. Nov 5th, bonfire night, the air was always full of smoke and the smell of bonfires and fireworks. Drove through Hayes at 10pm last night and it was totally clear. Has everyone given up on Guy Fawkes night?


I think it's still celebrated in England :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:54 am
Posts: 131
Location: Milton Keynes
Jon wrote:
That's weird. Nov 5th, bonfire night, the air was always full of smoke and the smell of bonfires and fireworks. Drove through Hayes at 10pm last night and it was totally clear. Has everyone given up on Guy Fawkes night?


I noticed that about 3yrs ago when I was visiting my dad in Southall during Diwali and Guy Fawkes night and I mentioned to him how quiet it seems on those dates since I moved out of Southall in 2000. My dad said that both occasions don't seem to have as many fireworks going off now.
I can remember when I was a kid living in Southall there was often fireworks still going off at 2am.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
another English tradition lost what happened to a penny for the guy with a stuffed effigy of guy Fawkes I bet there are thousands of kids don't even know who he was :o

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:54 am
Posts: 131
Location: Milton Keynes
Jim, you appear right! I remember I used see kids doing the whole 'penny for the guy' thing, but I don't think I've seen anyone doing that since I left Southall in 2000. Such a shame.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 pm
Posts: 221
I was part of my youth making a guy, borrowing pram, and canvasing for pennies outside the Best Western, beginning in August I joined a firework club in a small shop just down from the Ambassador, every sat after sat morning pics added a few pennies to my fund, but that was an English kids way of life, seems it has been given away.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: fireworks
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
rexy wrote:
I was part of my youth making a guy, borrowing pram, and canvasing for pennies outside the Best Western, beginning in August I joined a firework club in a small shop just down from the Ambassador, every sat after sat morning pics added a few pennies to my fund, but that was an English kids way of life, seems it has been given away.

We would build a bonfire in the middle of the road, on the corner Warley ave and Shakespeare avenue. there was other bonfires on other corners, usually a big one on the corner of Central ave and Uxbridge road before the flats were built even where the Wimpy bar now stands and Nov 5th there were bonfires all over the place, no health and safety then, as kids we would queue for fire works you was only allowed two bobs worth so we would turn up and queue up. but then they were not mortar bombs, squibs were as loud as they came. throw fire crackers at the girls feet and watch them dance, all good fun.

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke