News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 4:18 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:34 am
Posts: 1
Hi all, I'm writing an article on Shakespeare. I was wondering if anyone would mind stating their name, age and location (names can be nick names if you don't want to reveal too much) and name your favourite Shakespeare play and a few words or sentences as to why. (you don't need to have read all his plays)... As of yet, I haven't pitched this article so it's not being commissioned, but if it does, I would choose the best answers, it's really to show an appreciation to Shakespeare


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
:oops: I think maybe no one on here has actually seen a Shakespeare play... I haven't. His work doesn't seem to get turned into films and musicals quite as much as Dickens's!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
We did a version of 'Romeo & Juliet' at school & I've also read it! I've also seen lots of versions of 'West Side Story' which came from that.

Have also read 'Midsummer Nights Dream'! (A long time ago though!)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Did a couple at school half a century ago and that's it.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
Needing to pretend you understand and enjoy Bill's works is another one of those pieces of the art world's 'emperor's new clothes' pieces of high snobbery. If you don't like it, you must be thick. It drives me mad!!

I visited theatres scores of occasions over the years. On average, I love a third of stuff I see, enjoy a third and wish I had stayed in bed one third. I am not afraid to say when I don't like something - even to those performing it. I am not a huge Shakespeare fan - in fact I would not choose to go to such a play. It doesn't make me thick, but you would think so in some circles, where I really do believe many simply lie in fear of humiliation.

All art is (or should be) utterly dependant on personal taste. The book you love, might never reach my coffee table even if it was on sale for 10p at a charity shop. And the music I love would may result in you thinking your CD player had gone wrong. Indeed, one lazy persons unmade bed, can be a brilliant piece of contemporary sculpture (apparently!!).


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
True! Don't think I'd read Shakespeare now! :D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
thee and thy hadst and wouldst not my language :) :)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
:D


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Mind you I did live down his road for a while opposite Central avenue ;) ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:08 pm
Posts: 120
Jon wrote:
:oops: I think maybe no one on here has actually seen a Shakespeare play... I haven't. His work doesn't seem to get turned into films and musicals quite as much as Dickens's!


Some municipalities subsidize young actors to put on ` Shakespeare in the Park ' .

Very good entertainment on a warm summers day and the acting is very good.

Ann and I have also been to Stratford , Ontario, to see various plays including Shakespeare and thoroughly enjoyed them.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke