News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Pinch his nuts. :evil: :twisted:

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 am
Posts: 545
Location: Western Australia
jim wrote:
Pinch his nuts. :evil: :twisted:


That's not humane!
:lol:

_________________
When a crash seems inevitable, try to hit the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:10 pm
Posts: 1061
Location: Farnborough, Hampshire.
:lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Westonman wrote:
SOT, I have had a lot of trouble with squirrels. I strongly recommend you obtain a squirrel trap. I have two. They are a cage constructed of a stout wire with a trigger released trap door at one end. The trap is about 15cms square and about 60cms in length, with the long length laying on the floor/ground, making the trap 15cms wide and 15cms high. There is a bait tray at the closed end of the trap, which when activated causes the trap-door at the other end of the 60cm trap to drop behind the squirrel. I place peanut butter on the bait tray. Squirrels can't resist peanuts.
Between my two traps I have caught as many as 5 squirrels in one day.

Squirrels are officially vermin, and must NOT be released once caught. Squirrels can also be quite nasty and vicious when caught, so it is best NOT to get too close to them without strongly gloved hands once you have them in a trap. They must be humanely killed.


Image

Unless he looks like tufty here....

Red Squirrels I believe are a protected species.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
Thanks for your advice

I am going to combine many of your answers and catch the little devil in a trap. Then I intend to get my mole grips and take Jim's advice :-)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 1806
geezer466 wrote:
Image

Unless he looks like tufty here....

Red Squirrels I believe are a protected species.
AGREED! But as far as I am aware there are no red squirrels in the Hillingdon area.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
SOT wrote:
Thanks for your advice

I am going to combine many of your answers and catch the little devil in a trap. Then I intend to get my mole grips and take Jim's advice :-)


Let us know how you get on but mine ran around the cage in the loft for a few weeks before I was able to evict them. As for a trap? Mouse type trap?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 1806
This is similar to, but not the same as my traps:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheese-STV076-S ... rrel+traps
I've been successfully using my traps for the last 12 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 1:25 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:52 am
Posts: 545
Location: Western Australia
SOT wrote:
Thanks for your advice

I am going to combine many of your answers and catch the little devil in a trap. Then I intend to get my mole grips and take Jim's advice :-)



What's the mole got to do with it?

(are you making a mountain out of his hill?)
:lol: ;)

_________________
When a crash seems inevitable, try to hit the softest, cheapest object in the vicinity as slowly and gently as possible.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Westonman wrote:
This is similar to, but not the same as my traps:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cheese-STV076-S ... rrel+traps
I've been successfully using my traps for the last 12 years.


Looks like a good product..

Here is a selection of customer reviews from the page for some other tips for SOT..

Quote:
I had problems with squirrels in the house soffit and fascia. I also used 1/4 chunks of a snickers bar. It took a few days to catch the first one but after the first one the trap probably smelt of squirrel. Caught four so far (hopefully that is all).
The trap appears to be long enough so the tail is not trapped and is quite strong. Tip: if putting it on the roof, make sure it is tied to something (if I hadn't I don't think the squirrel or cage would survive the fall).


Quote:
3 to catch, 3 caught in 5 days, excellent (it also caught a hedgehog - no damage) Bated with peanuts is best


Quote:
We loved watching the squirrels in the garden, but after losing the fruit harvest to them, seeing them taking and shredding my shallots, and going into the chicken coop they had to go. The trap was delivered on Saturday, put in the middle of the veg plot with a small hand full of corn, squirrel 1 caught Sunday morning. Taken to a local wood and released. Trap returned to the same spot with 5 hazel nuts on Monday we caught 2 more squirrels within 40 mins, 2 more trips to the same wood. Although we had now caught all the bushy tailed thieves we replaced the trap and yesterday found a large squirrel sitting in there it was very strong and had a good go at the cage but the cage stood up all the pulling and gnawing, another tip to the wood. They just can't resist the hazel nuts :-)


Quote:
Our bowling club has a big problem with squirrels entering the roof space.They had caused big problems and hundreds of £'s damage to our alarm system and other wiring systems. I installed the cage trap and within a few days we had caught four of them. We are still using the trap with jammy dodger biscuit bait and no doubt we will catch more if they find their way in.


Quote:
Squirrels seem to get wise very quickly and avoid entering while stealing food through the sides! Surprising, yes, but true!


My squirrels seemed to come from the same gene pool as this last posters.. :(


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke