Moley wrote:
Yet another complete u-turn by ' We're all in this together-call me dave'. This one apparently took less than 24 hours.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... dmits.htmlJust when are we the 'plebs' going to realise exactly what is going on and rise up against it ?
Moley, the big fish, the bankers, the oil men, the corporates, such as Starbucks, Google, Amazon, Npower, etc. etc. are left to go free and lightly taxed. Meanwhile, the innocent little people are being relentlessly pursued by the State for money they don't owe.
The reports of the big fish getting away with their fraud, lies and theft is bad enough. But it really makes me angry when I experience unjustified persecution from the State for being fully legal and honest with the tax authorities.
About three weeks ago I received an Income Tax demand from HMRC for £394 of supposedly unpaid Income Tax for the year 2012-13. I then sent my calculations to HMRC clearly showing that HMRC had failed to take my pensioner Age Allowance into account, which is why their demand was wrong. HMRC responded by saying that they didn't know I qualified for the Age Allowance. There is no excuse for HMRC failing to include my Age Allowance, they have known all about me and my income from day one. They know my National Insurance number (without which they refuse to issue a tax code with a tax allowance) which identifies me and my age.
Today, I received a reply from HMRC claiming that the demand for unpaid Income Tax of £394 was in error. The same letter then goes onto say that I now owe HMRC £4.60. That is four pounds and sixty pence in unpaid Income Tax for 2012-13. The demand for £4.60 comes with the usual threats, if I don't pay then interest will be charged on the outstanding unpaid tax. The usual stuff of demanding money with menaces. How much does it cost HMRC to pursue a supposedly unpaid tax of £4.60? What would the be cost-benefit ratio to HMRC of ensuring the corporates pay their proper dues?
I have been retired now for nearly 9 years. My only income is from my pension providers and the State pension. I have no income from savings, investments, or from any other source. Every April I inform HMRC of my updated pension income for the new tax year. Every year HMRC issue a tax code based on the income I declare. I have also learned from HMRC that they know from my pension providers how much I receive in pensions; so there is no possible case of my fiddling my declaration of pension income. And yet EVERY year since I retired HMRC have chased me for 'unpaid' Income Tax, and have had to back down after I challenge them. And every year after my challenge HMRC claim that I owe them some small sum, usually in the range of £4 to £12 – which usually turns out that they owe me that small sum.
This afternoon I have sent copies of HMRC's letters and tax demands to my MP, to ask why his government is prepared to persecute the law-abiding pensioner while the big corporates are left to enjoy their unpaid taxes.
In the mean time Google, Amazon, Npower, Starbucks are enjoying their enormous sums of unpaid tax. Some of these corporates even go out to expensive dinner with a high-ranking rep from HMRC.
Future pensioners BEWARE of the State Persecutor!