| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1069 |
Page 1 of 7 |
| Author: | Marian [ Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:24 am ] |
| Post subject: | FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
On registering on the other forum (which was lost) and after joining the Photos section which I really liked, it took me a long time to notice and then to know what the initials FAQ stood for at the top of this page. I was totally new to forums or even computers in general and so I didn't understand much about anything in that respect. Reading the page through, and now again, I still don't understand some of it, especially the friend and foe section. i.e. I can see the benefit of the 'friend' list but I don't understand why there should be a 'foe' list. The reason it puzzled/puzzles me is that, if people join, surely the idea of 'foes' is creating an impression that not everybody is friendly with one another. Then, the part that says posts can be hidden is not clear to me. Is it possible for this to be explained clearer, please, because I don't understand who it means the posts are hidden from and why it is all there anyway. If every member abides by the terms and conditions which they read and agree to when they join, the mention of 'foes' seems to be unnecessary. There is a part that says that if members experience misuse of 'private messages' or something like that, they can make a complaint and so, if this is done and moves are made to resolve the situation amicably, then the existence of the 'foes' list should not be necessary because everything that happens which can be classed as negative has been sorted out. I hope that this is the right place to ask this question and, if not, perhaps a place can be suggested where questions like this can be discussed on the open forum. Thankyou. I have edited to add more to try to explain better. Marian. |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:19 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
We don't have any control over any of that Marian. A lot of it is unclear to me too. There are thousands and thousands of forums using this or similar software and that's just how it comes. |
|
| Author: | Marian [ Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:38 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
'If you add a user to your foes list, any posts they make will be hidden by default' Thankyou for your reply, Jon. I am intrigued. How do members know if they have, sadly, been nominated as a 'foe' and are they notified of this? Is there no way that webmasters can find out to be enlightened so that they can clarify? I hope you can answer these queries about the forum. Thankyou again Marian |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:44 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
The only thing I can say is people can try out the various bells and whistles they stumble across and see what happens (and report back so we all know what they've found out!) |
|
| Author: | Marian [ Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
I found the phpBB forum and someone wanted to know if the Foe list could be disabled. There followed quite a few contradictory comments on whether it was possible or not. It would take webmasters and Mods to understand the outcome rather than me. I was pleased to see that someone had consulted that forum because the 'foe' list was not desired by that person. I also found that on the HOWTODOIT PHPBB3 forum, the information is given on how to 'remove your Ex-Foes' I am not sure that this information is given on this forum but I wonder how many people have clicked on a name to put on a Foe list just to see how it works (in the absence of information). Then, without the necessary info. they have not been able to remove the name and so it has stayed wrongly. It seems that all that has to be done is to click again on the Username and click submit. Thankyou for your second reply, Jon, which I have read and noted. |
|
| Author: | Marian [ Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
Well, I looked on the User Control Panel and found 'manage foes'. Foes are users which will be ignored by default. Posts by these users will not be fully visible. I am shocked. |
|
| Author: | jane [ Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
There is nothing sinister or nasty in the friend/foe list ! Personally I don't have a friend list as if I like someone then I want to read their posts. However, I have in the past used the foe list for people who maybe post stuff I have no interest in or who's attitude I don't like. I don't see the problem - it just means that I don't have to see the posts and I won't get irate and post a reply I could regret |
|
| Author: | Pam [ Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
I have no problem with it either as it is there as a protection for members. Most sites have a similar set up. |
|
| Author: | jane [ Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:18 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
It's just the same as in life really - not everyone gets on and if you don't like someone or their views you would avoid them. Same thing here |
|
| Author: | Sunshine [ Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions |
The foe's list is brilliant and I use it to screen out posts from people I don't find interesting (sorry if that offends anybody). I don't bother with the friends list though. |
|
| Page 1 of 7 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|