WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

Hayes from on high
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=424
Page 1 of 4

Author:  Jon [ Thu May 31, 2012 1:54 am ]
Post subject:  Hayes from on high

Someone sent me a load of pix they took on their phone of Hayes Town, taken from high up on the new development by the canal. If you haven't seen them already, they're in the photo albums.

Someone else has sent me a superb pic of The Queens Head in Wood End Green Road showing the OLD pub attached to the newer one which still stands. It's a very interesting pic, though a bit small. I've asked if they can send a bigger scan and await their reply. Will add that to the albums too.

Author:  Pam [ Thu May 31, 2012 2:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

And just after I was enquiring about the Queens Head! :shock:

Author:  Kremmen [ Thu May 31, 2012 3:29 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

Yes, had to hold off posting :lol:

Author:  captain_flynn [ Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

I saw the aerial photos. I thought they were nice! The thing about town and city skylines is that they are always changing and so aerial photos always give you a good idea of how things have changed, even over a short time.

Author:  jim [ Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:15 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

captain_flynn wrote:
I saw the aerial photos. I thought they were nice! The thing about town and city skylines is that they are always changing and so aerial photos always give you a good idea of how things have changed, even over a short time.

The German Luftwaffe no doubt would have plenty. :( :(

Author:  captain_flynn [ Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

haha Indeed.
I really want to fly over Hayes/Southall and get some pics but sadly the rules of the air stop me from doing this with my PPL on a light plane. My only hope is that one day I get a ride in a helicopter from work that happens to be heading that way on the heli-routes! Fingers crossed!!!

Author:  Brian [ Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:55 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

I think we had a Luftwaffe photo of Hayes in the albums.
:)

Author:  captain_flynn [ Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

:)
I think you used to be able to pay to have a helicopter flight accross west london. I'm sure that I saw it somewhere a few years ago and the flight would go over the top of Heathrow via the heli-route that would cross over the top of the runway 23 threshold.

Author:  Brian [ Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:05 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

I prefer the wings to travel at the same speed and direction as the fuselage.
:lol: ;)

Author:  SOT [ Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Hayes from on high

I once had a ride in the Met Police helicopter from their base near Epping Forest. We flew over the west end (Baker St) and then back to base via Hampstead Heath, Victoria Park and Enfield. It was a fantastic view, especially the ride over the west end.

The most amazing thing is the visibility. I was surprised to discover that subject to the right weather, the crew navigate largely by sight. The observer had highlighted several landmarks on his A to Z and they literally find their way around by overflying these landmarks (such as Wembley stadium). At night, to find west London, the crew reach height rapidly over NE London and look for the floodlighting from the Old Oak Common rail depot or Heathrow which can be clearly seen from above the Chingford area (about 25 miles from Heathrow).

It's definitely the way to travel :-)

Page 1 of 4 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/