| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| BBC 4 Sound Of Song https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2009 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Marian [ Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | BBC 4 Sound Of Song |
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04yk00k I don't watch much T.V. but Neil Brand's programme last night kept me interested from beginning to end. Anyone, who like me, have always been interested in recording will have seen and been familiar with many of the processes and changes. The early days when microphones were introduced and magnetic tape began to be used was especially interesting. It was a pity that Sir Edward Elgar wasn't mentioned when he was recorded at Abbey Road Studios but that was probably because it was mainly the focus was on recording in the world of Pop music. Much more to think and talk about yet. : |
|
| Author: | davrob [ Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:37 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: BBC 4 Sound Of Song |
I got into recording, mostly speech rather than music, when home recording had reached the cassette stage, although earlier my brother bought a reel to reel tape recorder and he and I made up our own little story to try some sound effects. In the age of PC's there are all kinds of software to enable quite sophisticated recording techniques, but they're beyond me. I'd be interested to hear what kind of recording others are into. |
|
| Author: | Marian [ Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: BBC 4 Sound Of Song |
I was interested in recording from early days. My sister bought a reel-to-reel tape-recorder from a salesman who knocked our door one day when we were teenagers and she had just started work. It was a good recorder for speech and music. As a child, I used to experiment with sounds I could create with empty tins, elastic bands, combs and paper and a small harmonica. Probably because my father worked at the EMI, I was always interested in radio, TV, and recording. When I had my first reel-to-reel tape recorder, I was over the moon, recording anything, speech and music, birds singing, my children's birthday parties. Then life moved on and cassettes were introduced. I loved using those and recording was easier because of radio cassette recorders being easy to carry around. The computer process has left me behind but I can still record the way I used to and I like having CD recordings from cassettes. |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: BBC 4 Sound Of Song |
I saw some of that and hope to find time to watch the rest on the iplayer. It was a very good programme but what disappointed me was it seemed a bit US-centric. I almost began to wonder whether it had originally been made for an American audience and then adapted for British TV. It gave the impression that all the key developments and inventions happened in the States whereas a lot was happening in Europe too, not least in the UK and in Hayes at HMV/EMI. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|