| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| Can someone give me a little advice. https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1822 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Carolina [ Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:11 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Can someone give me a little advice. |
Hi - I'm hoping someone can help with a few questions I have. I was born in Hayes (many years ago) but moved country after I met my husband whose not from there. Anyway, any relations I had have also long gone & it's been almost 30yrs since I've been there. I have a very dear relative buried at Cherry Tree Lane and I've decided that I have to go and visit her grave, it's been on my mind for a long time. Now, I've no idea how I will find this grave - who could I contact to try and find the location. We will stay at a Heathrow hotel, won't have a car so any getting around will be public transport/taxis. My husband and grown up children are also coming, they have never set eyes on Hayes. I'm guessing a lot has changed there. We used to live along the Church Road and both my brother and I went to Botwell School. My parents were very friendly with Fr. Fisher. While we're there we'd like to take a day trip into central London - will this be easy enough from Heathrow ? Also are there any nice pubs/restaurants in the vicinity of our hotel (Sheraton Skyline) that we could go to ? Many thanks for your help (I've probably a few other questions that I will remember later ) |
|
| Author: | Lunar [ Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Can someone give me a little advice. |
The cemetery is on Shepiston Lane in Hayes and is slightly out of the way for a direct route from your chosen hotel. The cemetery office details are linked below http://www.hillingdon.gov.uk/article/9845/Cemeteries As for pubs and restaurants, the nearest pub/restaurant would probably be The White Hart in Harlington, about a mile from the Sheraton Skyline, on the 140 bus route £2.50 per person.... Another pub/restaurant which I am sure most people in Hayes know or have visited is The Pheasant http://www.pheasant-restaurant.co.uk Hayes has changed remarkably since you were last living here, but enjoy your stay and hope you find your relatives resting place. Finally, access to routes into London would mean a short bus ride into the Airport and then underground from there on. You might want to purchase an Oyster card which will be cheaper in the long run for your travel by public transport.....no cash accepted now. |
|
| Author: | Carolina [ Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Can someone give me a little advice. |
Thank you for your helpful reply - I will get in contact with Hillingdon cemeteries. We have oyster cards in Hong Kong - where do you buy them in Hayes, anywhere ? I have a vague recollection of my parents taking us to The Pheasant so will look it up, seems some things are still there as before. It's going to be a little strange seeing Hayes after so many years. |
|
| Author: | Lunar [ Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:28 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Can someone give me a little advice. |
Oyster cards can be purchased in many newsagents and I am sure the hotel would have an outlet. A deposit of £5 is required, plus an initial credit, but the deposit is part of the credit! Hayes is not the workforce heartland it used to be now that EMI, Callards & Bowser and more recently Nestle are not there. More small business have taken the slack. |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:47 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Can someone give me a little advice. |
There's a Premier Inn right bang opposite the cemetery. You literally just cross the road. http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/HEAP ... port-m4/j4 |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|