WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

Burton's Uxbridge
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1253
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Rich Kid [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:47 pm ]
Post subject:  Burton's Uxbridge

Does anyone remember Burton's Uxbridge, not the menswear shop but the club up stairs?

Author:  Pam [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:42 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

Yep! :D

Author:  Moley [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:58 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

I certainly do !!

I can even remember me and a few mates helping Status Quo unload their gear to perform a gig there way back when. Incredible to think they are still rocking all these years later.

It used to be a regular haunt of mine in the late 60's when it became more dj orientated, catering for the soul/tamla/reggae scene, of which I was a huge fan. If memory serves I think it was renamed as the Rainbow Room(s) around that time and crowds would flock from all over west and north west London.

Me and my mates would often start the evening at the 8 Bells ( ? ) which was later demolished to make way for the Civic Centre. Rumours would often abound that the 'Willesden Crew' were heading to Burtons, but apart from one or two incidents it was all good natured and about the music, the dancing and of course, the flirting. You could literally feel the dancefloor bouncing under the weight of several hundred dancers.

On a much smaller scale locally there was also Hesdin Hall in Ruislip Manor, the British Legion in North Hillingdon, The Black Bull in South Ruislip and a venue in Greenford/Yeading, the name of which completely escapes me .....I'm sure someone will be able to remind me.

Moley. :)

Author:  Rich Kid [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:43 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

I was there in the days of live groups - I remember Brian Poole & The Tremeloes, Cliff Bennett & The Rebel-Rousers, and Tony Rivers & The Castaways. A few of us used to travel over from Chalfont St Peter.

Author:  Moley [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:45 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

John Mayall's Bluesbreakers were there in 1965 with a certain well known guitarist in the line up.

http://www.whereseric.com/eric-clapton-tour/27/11/1965

Having dug a bit deeper I have found this link about a festival held at the Uxbridge showground in 1965. That is one impressive line up, and look at the entrance fee. 7/6d or 10/6d :!:

http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/uxbridge ... tival.html

Author:  Moley [ Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

I was just a bit too young to experience Burtons in it's heyday of live bands though. I really got to experience it properly when it became the mecca of soul and reggae, skinheads and suedeheads in the very late 60's and early 70's.

No-one cared what colour you were, it was all about the music and the dancing, and of course the clothes. Tonic suits, crombies, sheepskins, loafers, wing tip brogues, trilby hats ( I still occasionally wear one ) and a folded handkerchief in your top pocket. Most of which were cumbersome when trying to dance, but it was all about style and dressing up to get to the venue.

Once you were there it was all about this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpeHX4Rqpmg

Moley 8-)

Author:  vlad the impailer [ Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

after reading that i dont feel so old :lol:

Author:  Sunshine [ Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

I never, ever went there. In the 70s I was busy bringing up babies :D

Author:  festive50 [ Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:00 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

I went there about '66/67 and also saw Cliff Bennett & The Rebel-Rousers who was the support act for Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band, who although not a chart success they were a really big hit and sell out at Burtons.
Phil
8-)

Author:  festive50 [ Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Burton's Uxbridge

Moley wrote:
........and a venue in Greenford/Yeading, the name of which completely escapes me .....I'm sure someone will be able to remind me.
Moley. :)


Wasn't it "The Byron"?

Phil
8-)

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/