News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 3:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
before Stevens it was Billy Smarts fair then he went into circus I am talking 1938/9 I think Stevens had a smaller fair after ww2 ;) :)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
I wish I could remember a lot more. We lived just over the border in Northolt (Rushdene Crescent, if you want to Google it) and rarely went into Hayes town although Yeading Lane shops were within walking distance - we didn't have a car for a long while. I never saw the swimming pool by the Grapes or knew about the Hayes Carnival when I was a child.

Keep posting those memories Jim, I find them fascinating! x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
The Parade of shops now there was a farm, with a single cafe halfway along IE the Belmore café a single building and a large parking area! this was used by HGV lorries on an overnight stay with digs is Belmore avenue a big Dutch barn on the corner of Warley road the rest of that land was farm, apart from where Shakespesre ave starts there was two show houses across the corner diagonal. A large emergency water supply tank holding water for use in emergencies that had to covered in wire mesh as us kids would have all sorts of scraps of wood floating on top, that too us were battleships, I suppose it would only be a matter of time before somebody would fall in and drown, cinema was the swimming pool called the Blue Pool the Blue Pool garage had two petrol pumps outside either side of the large doors, across the was all open field apart from a single St Johns hut all the way up to Church road, two craters that were there got a skin of concrete and used as emergency water supply either end of the strip of land was a granite water trough for horses to drink.

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 65
jim wrote:
before Stevens it was Billy Smarts fair then he went into circus I am talking 1938/9 I think Stevens had a smaller fair after ww2 ;) :)


I was going to contradict you there Jim, after I found the following site.
However reading through it's history you find that Joe Stevens used to work for Billy Smart and in fact married Billy's daughter and ended up taking over the fair side of the business.
http://www.stevens-funfair.com/history.htm


Phil
:idea:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 9:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
I do believe that something in the showman's guild, states the right to hold a fair depends on the fact, the right is established if one was held the previous year, on that particular site, :o ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 10:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 329
jim wrote:
I do believe that something in the showman's guild, states the right to hold a fair depends on the fact, the right is established if one was held the previous year, on that particular site, :o ;)



That's in interesting fact Jim. So, let me get this right. If a fair is held in a I assume a public place. The fair then has a right to continue using that site every year.

or


The fair has been using a site for many years (grandfathers rights) and can carry on doing so, providing they used that right the previous year. But, once you miss a year. That's it!
I think I have heard similar with Becondsfied fair and Amersham fair.

_________________
Posts often deleted................Why? I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 65
jim wrote:
I do believe that something in the showman's guild, states the right to hold a fair depends on the fact, the right is established if one was held the previous year, on that particular site, :o ;)

Surely the showman's guild isn't the law of the land. The landowner could just say enough's enough.

Phil
:?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
not sure about that depends what's in the deeds he may well have acquired the land as a sale or inheritance lots of strange goings on, from the medieval days gone bye. :o ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke