| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| Memories of Charville https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=672 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Marian [ Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Memories of Charville |
I have removed my writing of memories about Charville for the time being. Thankyou to those who read it. It is soon to be posted more appropriately on the Growing Up In Hayes section on my website and maybe later elsewhere, possibly on the Features page. Thankyou for that particular suggestion, Jon. It is very nice of you. Marian |
|
| Author: | jim [ Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Memories of Charville |
The shops along the Uxbridge rd between Shakespeare ave, and Warley road was Belmore farm with a Dutch barn on the corner of Warley Rd. the Cafe' and lorry park. the corner show house for Gough the builders where the burger bar is now, the large emergency water supply tank on the corner of Shakespeare ave, the Granite horse troughs, Ux RD, Church rd, and Hayes Town, the Corinth cinema, the Blue pool swimming baths now the car park for Lidle, the sunken air raid shelters along the Ux Road, Billy Smarts fair now high rise flats, yep changed a bit innit. |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:07 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Memories of Charville |
Thanks for that Marian I'll try and get it added to the Special Features on HayesMiddlesex.com at some point. |
|
| Author: | mwp [ Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Memories of Charville |
Hi Jim,you forgot Rectory farm,opposite Rectory Road where the shops are.I was born in Rectory road.The farm house was white,and the field dropped down about two feet from the pavement and had cows in it. |
|
| Author: | Marian [ Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:01 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Memories of Charville |
Jon wrote: Thanks for that Marian I'll try and get it added to the Special Features on HayesMiddlesex.com at some point. Thankyou, Jon. I'm pleased you found the memories interesting. Marian |
|
| Author: | Marian [ Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:37 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Memories of Charville |
Jon .. although I have removed my memories of Charville from here, I have the writings saved. |
|
| Author: | Marian [ Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:16 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Memories of Charville |
A Shortened and Revised version: Pole Hill Road looked different with some terraced houses in place of the spooky old building (The Towers) on the corner of Mellow Lane East. The straight line of bungalows on the left towards Charville Lane looked more uneven with dormer-windows added to some of them. Charville Lane looked different with a bus-stop and some houses and flats where some bungalows used to be. Some of my favourite memories are walking or cycling along the lane into Pole Hill Road to get to the busier Uxbridge Road. Gainsborough Road has a neat, grassed area with a fence whereas it used to be wild grass and brambles edged by a Hawthorn hedge where the fence is now. Further along Gainsborough Road is a sports field and pavilion. This area was once more wild grassland and some areas of marshy ground. Gainsborough Road was a dead-end but there are now more houses built there... groan.. Raeburn Road has lost the area of grass opposite where I lived and the ground is concrete and a garage .. another groan .. Charville Lane towards Bury Avenue does not have the hedge stretching all the way along but comes to an abrupt end earlier. All lanes should be 'edged with a hedge' complete with wild flowers and birds singing and that is what it was like ..once .. There is a roundabout on the junction of Bury Avenue and the lane and the fields have gone where Pie, the horse I used to take bread to feed, would stand to greet passers-by. The Community Centre opposite, and the blue-painted library further along past Charville School must be welcome additions for the local residents as I remember that recreational amenities were much further away when I lived there as a girl. The recreation-ground and parade of shops in Romney Road were the places I remember to meet friends and neighbours. Charlie Farmer was a cheerful character in the Hardware shop and Gloria Eaton's parents ran the Greengrocer's. Gloria went to Charville School and Mellow Lane as well, I believe. Malcolm Parrott's parents ran the Newsagents and he went to Charville and Mellow Lane too. I am glad to say that Charville is still quite similar to how it was in the past with character of its own away from the busier parts of Hayes. |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Memories of Charville |
Excellent, thanks |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|