| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| 3-D Printing: Absolutely Amazing https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=579 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | SOT [ Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 pm ] |
| Post subject: | 3-D Printing: Absolutely Amazing |
I am not the greatest when it comes to technology, but I saw something at work last week that is set to change the way we use our PCs, almost to the same extent as the world wide web has. It was a new machine which allows '3D printing'. I have read about it and seen a feature on TV, but now I have sen what these machines can do, I am blown away. One way in which it can work is to scan an object in what looks like a similar method to a MRI medical scanner. The scan copies an image of the cross section of the item to be copied and creates a 3D image in a PC. When complete, a special printer which uses a sort of plastic powder recreates a 3D copy of the item in plastic. But that's only half of it. The new copy is not just a solid block the same shape as the original, it also contains the same moving parts!. Imagine a pair of pliers is copied by the system. The result is a perfect working copy - in plastic - complete with moving parts. I saw a test sample which consisted of a large open frame with numerous gears inside. When a handle is turned, all the cogs and gears rotate. However, this was printed in one piece, not several bits which are later assembled. Also, this was made from a CAD drawing, rather than copied from a sample I rarely get excited about IT stuff, but it's amazing. In years to come, it's likely we'll all have such technology. For example: Some can use sugar rather than plastic and make amazing sculptures for cakes More here http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/n ... world.html |
|
| Author: | vlad the impailer [ Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:39 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3-D Printing: Absolutely Amazing |
seen that before making the moulds for WW2 aircraft engine parts...as you say amazing |
|
| Author: | Kremmen [ Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:28 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3-D Printing: Absolutely Amazing |
.... and the cost of this printer ? Amazing technology though |
|
| Author: | SOT [ Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: 3-D Printing: Absolutely Amazing |
You won't get much change out of £80K for the one I saw (but PC World probably do cheaper ones I wonder what would happen if the scanner caught a fly as well as the subject to be copied. They should make a film about it!! |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|