WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

Dropbox..... VERY useful!!
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=303
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Jon [ Sun Apr 08, 2012 2:34 pm ]
Post subject:  Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

I don't know if any of you have heard of this before, but I've been using it for some time. It's called "Dropbox" and is very clever. You get a Dropbox box on your desktop, and you can drag any files you like into it... and pick them up on any other PC anywhere.

I have a Dropbox at home and another one at work, and I can simply drag files into it... and pick them up when I get to work. Very useful just to store loads of stuff anyway.

Here's a link:

http://db.tt/FuzJROWA

(If you use that one and join Dropbox, they'll give me extra storage space :D )

Author:  john [ Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

can you drop folders in it ?

Author:  Jon [ Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

Not sure... give it a try.

Author:  Kremmen [ Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

Not sure I trust an external file storage solution.

I'd rather continue putting my files on a USB stick and take the files home/work that way.

Author:  Sunshine [ Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:51 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

do you use an encrypted device? I used to work in IT and have had several USB sticks handed to me that people had dropped in our building.

Author:  Kremmen [ Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

Only one is encrypted.

The stuff I carry from work to home is 99% not confidential, but I would still not like it held on a remote server.

I'm paranoid I am :D

Author:  Jon [ Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:02 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

Yes well, it's just incredibly convenient for non confidential uses. I love it.

Author:  geezer466 [ Wed May 02, 2012 10:05 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

Kremmen wrote:
Only one is encrypted.

The stuff I carry from work to home is 99% not confidential, but I would still not like it held on a remote server.

I'm paranoid I am :D


I would be very suspicious of an external server solution especially if it was free. Security would not bother me only the fact they could drop the service whenever they wanted as they have no obligation to the user..

My solution is one of those small passport drives. Tesco were selling 500 gig versions for <£50 a couple of Months ago. They plug straight into the USB no external power and have loads of space. It also never leaves the house. Not a problem for me though as I work from home.

Author:  Jon [ Thu May 03, 2012 1:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

If you mean the WD Passport, beware. I have two, dad has three and I have two friends who each have one.

They are AWESOMELY FANTASTIC -- but they can fail without warning. Just stop working. One of my friends that happened to was advised to put it in a sealed plastic bag in the freezer for a while, take it out, plug it in and get all her stuff off while she could. That worked for her.

The other friends lost ALL their family photos they'd stored on a passport; it failed less than a year old and the makers would only send a replacement, not do anything to retrieve the data.

One of my two stopped working only last night, but I'm hoping it might recover as the other one has stopped working before, but is working at the moment.

I may be able to shed a little light on why they stop working. I don't know, this might not be the reason, but the one that stopped working last night (and still wasn't working tonight) was working quite happily until I wanted to swap it to another PC to transfer data.

I pulled out the USB plug without going through the "Eject hardware" procedure..... maybe that's what's befuddled it.

Author:  geezer466 [ Thu May 03, 2012 10:20 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Dropbox..... VERY useful!!

They do have a sensitive spinning disc (the hard drive) inside which will be sensitive to shocks as it will be sprung. People should treat them as they would a valuable fragile item like a treasured vase or something.
No dropping them or throwing them to the back of cupboards...

The smart money says any data you cannot afford to lose should be in at least two places... That way if you lose one you still have another retrieval option. I read an article a few weeks ago which suggested you should keep 3 options for backup..

Some years ago they told us CD's then DVD's were the way to go for permanent data storage but it turns out these are failing in less than a decade. Hard drives of course have a spinning disc so are suseptable to knocks and stuff and anyway no mechanical parts can last for ever.
Flash storage has no moving parts but again is untested over and above about 15 years as that is as long as they have been about en masse..

I have just noticed my hosting offers online storage as part of the package 2 gigs. These sort of places tend to have 3 or 4 backup servers to protect the data served up to the web. If persons have that it would be worth taking advantage of it bearing in mind it goes with the hosting.. It's not a hell of a lot but maybe enough to give another solution to some important documents..

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/