WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=191
Page 1 of 2

Author:  Marian [ Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Hi .. My windows Media Player is not reading discs for ripping and also not recognising any blank discs for burning.
I get a message saying to insert a blank disc even though I have done that already. It ejects the disc and says 'burn complete' but it hasn't done anything at all.
I can see a reading that says CD Drive E 'no disc'.
I have looked in Device Manager because I saw a suggestion on Technet to do that and got as far as
Upper Filter, Lower Filter, and Class Upper and Class Lower. After that I got lost ... :-(

I would be grateful for some help if anyone else has had this happen and to know what can be done. Maybe someone would know where I go after 'Class Lower' and if that is the route to take to solve the problem?
Thankyou for any help offered. Marian.

Author:  Kremmen [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:40 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Via Device Manager, remove the CD drive and reboot. This should reload all the CD/DVD drivers.

If you've already hunted the registry and removed the upper and lower filters entries then I can't think of anything else other than seeing if you have the latest Media Player.

XP or W7 (or the dreaded Vista) ?

Author:  Marian [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Thankyou for your reply, Kremmen.
I will try your suggestions so fingers crossed. I am grateful for your help.
I use XP, not Vista.
Recently, I installed an Adobe Flash Player update, but I'm not sure whether the CD Drive E problem started before or after that, so I can't be certain that caused the problem.
Marian.

Author:  jim [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

a system restore may help chose a date prior to that. (just a guess Im'e no technophobe) beyond that I somehow find my own salvation that way. then when you get updates to instal choose carefully. :o 8-)

Author:  Marian [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:07 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Thankyou for that idea, Jim. My system restore has also, for me, been a way out of a problem, but I can't resort to that this time. The restore date only goes back a few days because I had to run the defragmentation. I presume that the need for space had stopped me retrieving earlier system restore dates.
I will try Kremmens advice and see if I'm lucky.
I will definitely think more carefully before installing any future updates that suddenly appear. Good advice. :-)
Thanks again
Marian

Author:  Kremmen [ Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

One other thing to check is that the Adobe Flash Player hasn't reset the drives recording settings:

Check to ensure you have the option to Record on this device enabled. Right
click the drive's icon and select Properties->Recording Tab. Check the box.
If there is no Recording Tab then check here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.as ... US;Q316529

Note: the above link will also trigger Microsoft's Fix-It utility which may fix the problem automatically.

Author:  Marian [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Hi .. just thought I'd let you know how things are going ..

I ran the Fix-It link and I have had some success in ripping 2 CD's so thankyou for the link above. :-)

Unfortunately, though, I am still having problems burning CD's. I will keep persevering as the CD icon at the top of the pane responded once as though it had recognised the disc, which was great news. :-)

Thankyou for the support. It helped me to know you and Jim were trying to be of some help, and hopefully I'll have the problem solved soon.

Thanks again.
Marian.

Author:  Jon [ Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:19 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Oooo, this is interesting. I have exactly the same problem on my old laptop. I shall have to try it out.

Author:  cobo04 [ Tue May 15, 2012 7:19 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Windows Media Player is not a disk burner/cutter softeare, play a player. in order to cut a disk, use something like Nero.

As for ripping disk - not really legal but something like DVDFab works well on this side.

Author:  Marian [ Tue May 15, 2012 8:28 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Could Anyone Help Solve My Media Player Problem?

Hi cobo04 .. thanks for your help. My task was to be able to rip tracks from my cd's of my own original music. I have been successful in solving that problem, but burning discs is still not possible. I have to say, though, that I have not tried the suggestions made to rectify this part of the problem as I have been sidetracked (pardon the pun) with other things. I am grateful for any help offered so thankyou very much. Marian.

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/