| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| Apple or Laptop? https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1697 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Rich Kid [ Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:51 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Apple or Laptop? |
When my laptop got past it, I bought myself an Apple MacBook Air, and I must confess it's taken me some time to get used to it, in fact I'm still learning. My wife has now reached the same point and is debating what to do - buy another laptop or get an Apple MacBook Air. Any views or comments on this from anyone in the know? |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Apple or Laptop? |
I'm wrestling with the same question! I'm really fed up with Windows. |
|
| Author: | geezer466 [ Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Apple or Laptop? |
Apple is over priced for what you get in my opinion. Plenty of free linux operating systems out there for those tired of windows. I run two media centre PC's (connected to TV's) with Ubuntu O/S. Rejuvenated an old netbook which was slow as anything with Win7 basic on it by putting lubuntu on. Flys along now. |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:58 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Apple or Laptop? |
I'm STILL trying to decide!! Your solution sounds great Geezer but probably requires specialist knowledge or a sharp learning curve? |
|
| Author: | geezer466 [ Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Apple or Laptop? |
http://linux.wikia.com/wiki/Linux_expla ... ndows_user Once you have it installed it is a point and click environment same as windows/OSX. Can be installed to a separate partition with choice of boot or used independently. Many different flavours to choose from Red Hat, Ubuntu and Mint being just three I name here. In many ways the OS is superior to windows in that with a little experience you can work other pc's in the network direct from the command line or web tools from a host PC. Be it in the next room or the other side of the world. Course Windows and Apple dominate the market so most will never have heard of open source operating systems and software. For example the two ubuntu boxes I have are headless PC's they sit there not attached to a monitor (although they are connected to a TV for watching content). I have bespoke pieces of software set up, Sickbeard and SABNZB which automatically gathers content. The applications run in auto pilot in the background with little interaction from me once setup. I set them up from this PC via the command line and web browser tools. Everything plays back via XBMC (very soon to be renamed kodi) using standard TV Type remote controls. Think it of it as a small pc which turns a bog standard TV into a super charged smart tv but with access to unlimited streamed content. http://kodi.tv/ |
|
| Author: | Lunar [ Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:40 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Apple or Laptop? |
I had the same question a couple of years back! Having had an iPhone for a couple of years and liked the operating system and its ease of use, a MacBook Pro was then purchased. I have not looked back and I haven't found any issues with compatibility as I installed a dual boot with Windows 7, it works great. I now need a more powerful machine, so am saving hard for a Mac Pro. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|