News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 6:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Cemeteries
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
I just wonder if anyone on here has had experience of disputes over a grave and how to solve them

I'll try and keep it brief .... my dad died in 1987 and was buried in Weybridge cemetery in an unmarked grave. At the time he died he had left my mum and remarried - albeit unhappily and had he not died they would have divorced ... his then wife wasn't the full ticket ! So, after a couple of years my mum, my brothers and myself brought a small marble memorial stone, just with dads name on, his birth and death date and a simple RIP message and put it on his grave. All was fine until about 2 years later when my brother received a letter telling him to remove the memorial. It seems the ex wife had got wind of it and consulted a solicitor. So one Sunday afternoon my brother went and took it off the grave.
Next time I visited a new stone was there - an ugly plain thing which looks like an upright paving slab. The ultimate insult is that his ex wife purposely spelt his name wrong .....
In January the ex wife died - and she was cremated and scattered with her 3rd husband so she isn't in my dads grave. Today I contacted Weybridge council to ask if we can put the original memorial back on the grave but have been told we cant unless the deeds were signed over to me which they werent. The only next of kin is this womans daughter but she is an alcoholic and as crazy as her mother so she won't sign anything over ... plus I have no idea where to find her.
So I'm wondering if this is it ? Do we have to just accept the fact that my dad is in a grave with the wrong name .... or could we just change the stone anyway ? Its only placed there on a plinth .. not cemented in or anything ....
I'd appreciate any advice x

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Last edited by jane on Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cemetaries
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:20 pm
Posts: 280
If the deeds are not in your name I would expect that you could not do it as you do not own the grave, saying that if the daughter is like you say would she ever bother to visit the grave, I would think she wouldn't and so you could just put yours back. Not sure if you are allowed to do this but it could be an option


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cemeteries
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Thanks Chris .... thats what I'm thinking :)

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cemeteries
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
my only thought on the matter you have the same surname, does your Mother? just food for thought as he is your dad a blood relative :) :)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cemeteries
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 329
Personally, I would go there one night, and just simply put your stone back. I doubt very much, if anybody walks around once a year checking up.

_________________
Posts often deleted................Why? I don't know.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cemeteries
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Jim .. my mum did have the same surname but she died 10 years ago :(
Batty .... you think the same as me ;) I think thats what we'll do ....lol. If you see a story in the news about grave robbers - you know who it'll be :)

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cemeteries
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
I agree! Who is going to notice now the ex wife has gone.

Go for it Jane

:D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Cemeteries
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
The funny thing is, my brother had to remove the first memorial. He walked into the cemetery on a sunny Sunday afternoon with his wheelbarrow .... past people visiting graves, lifted the stone into his barrow .... walked back past the people and said 'good afternoon' and no-one said a word :) :)

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke