| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=593 |
Page 1 of 1 |
| Author: | Westonman [ Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:04 am ] |
| Post subject: | Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
Remember Cameron's promise of a road fuel price stabiliser? Then he told us it was TOO difficult; well - the French Government AND the oil companies have REDUCED the price of road fuel – and French fuel was cheaper than ours to start with, especially diesel. http://money.aol.co.uk/2012/08/28/shoul ... price-cut/ Quote: The French are taking drastic action to keep prices at the pump from spiraling out of control. It was a key part of Francois Hollande's election promises, and he has come good, with the announcement that the country will spend €300 million keeping prices down. Quote: The cut in prices is coming as a combination of slashed profits for fuel companies, and a major cut in fuel duty. For three months the oil companies have agreed to cut three cents off the cost of a litre, and take the hit on their bottom line. Meanwhile, the state will cut three cents a litre off fuel duty, losing €300 million in duty as a result. It means an overall cut of six cents a litre. Quote: After the initial temporary cut, the finance minister said there would be a permanent mechanism in place to keep prices more affordable for the long term.
|
|
| Author: | Kremmen [ Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
That 6 cents a litre, is that similar in value to my Tesco 5p off a litre cos we spent over £50 last weekend ? I appreciate the French sentiment but isn't 6 cents a litre just a drop in the ocean ? |
|
| Author: | john [ Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:06 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
i wonder how the UK books would books would balance , if vat was 10% , on everything , across the board and no excise taxes .just 10% , food books , children s cloths etc it would be far easier to work out , so less government staff OAPs of course would get some kind of compensation , or a rise , as they are on a fixed income and child allowance increase , if on children s cloths , but only for the first two born , and child allowance stopping at two children more cars would be sold , and more petrol consumed , if the government want to restrict smoking , alcohol , etc , just restrict the sale but never any increase of tax |
|
| Author: | Moley [ Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:02 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
Kremmen wrote: That 6 cents a litre, is that similar in value to my Tesco 5p off a litre cos we spent over £50 last weekend ? Thats something that really riles me Kremmen. As a single person I rarely, if ever spend £50 in a supermarket shop, so don't get the benefit of 5p off a litre of fuel. I cant work out whether Tesco are doing these regular deals as a 'loss leader', or they are making that much profit out of petrol/diesel sales that a 5p a litre drop doesn't impact them too much. Because they offer these deals so often, I suspect the latter. I must admit I despise this company for its overwhelming dominance in the local area. |
|
| Author: | Kremmen [ Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:53 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
I was lucky to get it as the norm is Mrs Krem goes there every day and gets a bagful. We still spend a fair whack, just not in one go. |
|
| Author: | jim [ Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:36 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
MY CAR was designed as an experiment to burn oil faster than the Arabs can get it out of the ground |
|
| Author: | Kremmen [ Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:39 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
... and I bet it's successful |
|
| Author: | Jon [ Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:47 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
My latest car has been ruined by the MOT test. The second car I've had to scrap after the engine was jiggered by the MOT. I wonder how many thousands of cars are ruined by the ridiculous way they race engines for ages during MOT tests. Grrrrr. After the MOT in February, there was a very slight clicking noise coming from the engine. A month ago it seized up. The garage I bought it from reckons that during the MoT the timing belt probably slipped a notch and over the months the problem has got worse; they told me it happens quite a lot. I had a beautiful 8 series Rover in the 90s which was wrecked by the MoT, the engine was clapped out. In both cases, I'd checked the oil was OK before the MoT. |
|
| Author: | Kremmen [ Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:53 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
I often wonder about some of these MOT stations and the monkeys they employ. |
|
| Author: | geezer466 [ Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:34 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Fuel price promise: Hollande vs Cameron |
Jon wrote: My latest car has been ruined by the MOT test. The second car I've had to scrap after the engine was jiggered by the MOT. I wonder how many thousands of cars are ruined by the ridiculous way they race engines for ages during MOT tests. Grrrrr. After the MOT in February, there was a very slight clicking noise coming from the engine. A month ago it seized up. The garage I bought it from reckons that during the MoT the timing belt probably slipped a notch and over the months the problem has got worse; they told me it happens quite a lot. I had a beautiful 8 series Rover in the 90s which was wrecked by the MoT, the engine was clapped out. In both cases, I'd checked the oil was OK before the MoT. Why would they need to race the engine? Something to do with the emissions test? Lots of modern cars require a timing belt change at a major service the interval can be anything from 30,000 to 75,000 miles. The belts/chains only have a certain life and as in anything have to be renewed. Whenever I have bought a second hand motor I have always checked the status of the belt against mileage and the last time it was changed either by asking the previous owner or consulting the service history. If I cannot id when it was done I get them to do it on the next service. Better to pay a couple hundred £ for what you know is a safe and new timing belt than risk it breaking and completely fubarring the engine which it usually does as the valve stems get bent. |
|
| Page 1 of 1 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|