WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

BBC unsure of the Law
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=500
Page 1 of 1

Author:  geezer466 [ Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:06 pm ]
Post subject:  BBC unsure of the Law

I find it pretty unbelievable that they would need to ponder the question.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18588612

Quote:
"To let" advertisements that specify a particular race or religion are visible in newsagents windows in many areas of London. But are they breaking the law?


If I placed an advert in a newsagents window saying whites or Anglo Saxons only PC Plod would be round pdq.....

Author:  rexy [ Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

Hopefully I will sell my main property within a year, I am toying with the idea of advertising 'Caucasians need NOT apply' just to annoy my annoying neighbors.

Author:  geezer466 [ Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

rexy wrote:
Hopefully I will sell my main property within a year, I am toying with the idea of advertising 'Caucasians need NOT apply' just to annoy my annoying neighbors.


Most of the population of Hayes does not know what that word means let alone how to spell it!!

Author:  chris_guest [ Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:06 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Author:  jim [ Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

geezer466 wrote:
If I placed an advert in a newsagents window saying whites or Anglo Saxons only PC Plod would be round pdq.....

what if I was selling sun tan lotion ? :) ;)

Author:  chris_guest [ Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:25 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

So could I say if I owned a company that I wanted English people only ?

Author:  Batty bat [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:30 am ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

How about "with pure English blood"?

Author:  jim [ Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:57 am ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

does it work the other way, like for bus conductor? :) :)

Author:  george [ Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

geezer466 wrote:
I find it pretty unbelievable that they would need to ponder the question.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18588612

Quote:
"To let" advertisements that specify a particular race or religion are visible in newsagents windows in many areas of London. But are they breaking the law?


If I placed an advert in a newsagents window saying whites or Anglo Saxons only PC Plod would be round pdq.....


how many of the adverts mention colour?if i advertised for an english speaking vegetarian
then there would be no problem.its not as if the adverts say no irish,blacks or dogs.would
be curious to see if tamils class themselves as sri lankan.

Author:  geezer466 [ Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:01 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: BBC unsure of the Law

george wrote:
geezer466 wrote:
I find it pretty unbelievable that they would need to ponder the question.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18588612

Quote:
"To let" advertisements that specify a particular race or religion are visible in newsagents windows in many areas of London. But are they breaking the law?


If I placed an advert in a newsagents window saying whites or Anglo Saxons only PC Plod would be round pdq.....


how many of the adverts mention colour?if i advertised for an english speaking vegetarian
then there would be no problem.its not as if the adverts say no irish,blacks or dogs.would
be curious to see if tamils class themselves as sri lankan.


Image

Some of the adverts say 'Must be Bangladeshi, Indian, Pakistani'!!

This implies only persons from these Countries would be considered!!

Now if an advert were to say Must be 'English, Scots or Welsh' it would be deemed to be racist and in breach of the discrimination regulations.

Adverts do not have to mention colour at all. It is the meaning they imply what matters and this is encompassed in the wording of the act. Clearly by advertising for English, Scots or Welsh only the person will be looking to exclude (discriminate against) everyone else. The same should apply if it mentions Bangladeshi, Indian or Pakistani, but very often it does not. The police will be quick to warn and possibly prosecute in the first instance not so keen in the second, most of them will not even consider the law has been broken.

The ones that say must speak English would probably be ok as this is the mother tongue of this Country and it is reasonable to assume most if not all persons should speak it. Adverts which dictate bengali or arabic (without specifically mentioning English) are probably looking to discriminate (exclude) some applicants.

Adverts which would ask for Christians or Muslims are probably looking to exclude on the basis of religion.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/