WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

The Funfair Comes to West Drayton
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=216
Page 1 of 4

Author:  Badminton Girl [ Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:40 pm ]
Post subject:  The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

The fair ground coming to town was quite exciting as a kid, as grown up I just think they look sad and soulless. Especially when empty

Author:  Jon [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:27 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

I wonder if that's because you've grown up, or whether it's because the fairs aren't what they used to be?

The Hayes one at Easter is tucked away down the end of Springfield Road nowadays; when I was a kid it used to have a prime spot on the Uxbridge Road.

My earliest recollections was of it being on the corner of Church Road; then later, exactly where the Hayes bypass roundabout now stands.

However, I know from pix we once had in our galleries that further back, it was near Central Ave, where the flats were later built.

Author:  jim [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

From Central ave first on the East side then on the West side along the Uxbridge Road Billy Smart had his fair every year, even through the war, there was a boxing booth where the young lads could take on the resident boxer and if still standing after 3 rounds would get 5 bob, (25p) seem to remember it also took place on Botwell Green on a few occasions. ;) ;)

Author:  Badminton Girl [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:26 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

Jon wrote:
I wonder if that's because you've grown up, or whether it's because the fairs aren't what they used to be?


I think I will make a visit tonight or tomorrow and report back on my findings

Author:  Brian [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:39 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

jim wrote:
... seem to remember it also took place on Botwell Green on a few occasions. ;) ;)


Yes, it would have been the late 50s or early 60s
I remember getting into a punch-up.
:lol:

Author:  Jon [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:03 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

Only if it's warm BG.... can't imagine enjoying a fair in the cold. Brrrrrrrrrr.

Author:  Badminton Girl [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:22 am ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

Us Welsh are made of hardy stuff it would have to get very cold to stop me

Author:  jim [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:26 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

We do still get the fair, in the Townhall park once a year, on Hayes Carnival, mind you the Council seem hell bent on stopping that as the big fest takes priority, and the Hayes carnival is well old 65 years to my certain knowledge, dont know how long before that, would not be surprised if it went back over 100 years, and the stocks at the church were used for any rowdies. :( :(

Author:  Sunshine [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:30 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

I used to love watching the fireworks at the carnival. They got stopped a few years ago and I don't know why. I thought the people who ran the funfair paid for them ...........

Author:  Moley [ Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:17 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: The Funfair Comes to West Drayton

For anyone who likes fairs I highly recommend the annual Pinner Fair. Its been running for approximately 700 years and is protected by Royal Charter. Its only a one day event, and is fairly unique in being a true street fair even to this day.

http://www.pinnerlocal.co.uk/Company.aspx?cid=5544

It operates on a Wednesday, usually in late May or June, so keep an eye out for it BG.

Page 1 of 4 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/