News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Car cams
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
I've bought a Nextbase car cam. It's brilliant! It comes with 3 months free membership of a website called policewitness.com where citizens can grass each other up if they capture driving offences on video. What a quandry. If I caught something really bad I'd do it but don't like the idea of a nation of tell tale tits reporting every minor misdemeanour.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:57 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Posts: 288
And when you make mistakes ? i hate them , its just spying , will you report yourself


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:31 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 pm
Posts: 221
O.K. PC49 like another cup of tea, wot's on tele tonight, it's DIY now.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:42 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:31 pm
Posts: 663
Jon, I'm considering buying a car cam and wondered which model you bought? Was it the Nextbase 420-G which had a 'best buy' recommendation in the Sunday Times.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:23 pm
Posts: 166
If it any help, I have a "Garmin" . I've had it for about a year now. It also has GPS so will record the position if needed. It's a little pricey comped to some. It's small, about 2"x2". But the picture blows up well on a computer.
One thing you must watch for, If I remember correctly. There's something about , being able take the heat on the inside of the windscreen when parked in the summer?
I personally don't think You don't need to listen to much about this "night vision" stuff, the lights on your car are enough. It's just another sales gimmick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:14 pm
Posts: 118
After the atrocious driving I have witnessed and avoided a couple of nutters who clearly are looking to end thei lives sooner rather than later, a dash cam is the top of my list when I get paid. I am undecided on 2 models, the Transcend Drivepro 200 or the Nextbase 420g.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:24 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
Yes, I've got the Nextbase 420G. It's brilliant. I just popped into Halfords, they had 3 car cams, all Nextbase in ascending order of price. I googled the best one, the 420G and saw that a) it had great reviews b) it was a Which? Best Buy and c) the price - £134 - was cheaper than it was being sold anywhere else. SO I bought it. I went into Halfords 2 days ago and they're now selling it as £149!!

Picture quality is stunning. Comes with great software on which you can see your route on Google maps plus there are green directional arrows which highlight any sudden jolts!

I bought the biggest microSD card Halford had to go with it, 32G, which holds 5 hours of filming at maximum resolution.

When I get a chance, I'll post some footage.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:25 pm
Posts: 288
The trouble is we all make mistakes on the road , will you all be ok , when you are filmed , and reported ?
have you ever had a speeding ticket ?,


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:05 pm
Posts: 2807
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick John. Although I mentioned that my dash-cam comes with 3 months free membership of the site for reporting offences, that is not why I got it and as a firm opponent of the surveillance state I'd be incredibly reluctant to go down that path. The main reason for having one is incase you're in an accident, to prove what happened. It will also be great to film journeys as occasionally there will be things I'd like to look at later, or keep for one reason or another. As for grassing up others, I'd only do that if there was a really really bad example.

Here's one which someone else uploaded which I agree with reporting, showing insane and illegal overtaking in heavy fog, with no regard whatsoever for the safety of everyone else on the road:



There are more examples on this page. Some are serious, some aren't. The car that goes through red lights while people are crossing is another example of something that I too would report:

http://www.policewitness.com/media/hall-of-shame/?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Car cams
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:21 am
Posts: 251
have a look on here https://www.youtube.com/user/Techmoan
he reviews loads of them,mine cost £30 and works a treat.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke