WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

HS2 to be quietly shelved.
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1796
Page 1 of 1

Author:  geezer466 [ Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:20 pm ]
Post subject:  HS2 to be quietly shelved.

Maybe today in the Autumn statement....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... -halt.html

Quote:

HS2 has been forced to scrap plans for its London terminus at Euston, dealing the high-speed rail project a potentially fatal blow.

In minutes from last month seen by The Sunday Telegraph, Rupert Walker, HS2 and Network Rail’s development director for Euston, says design work on the station has been “stopped” because HS2 “simply couldn’t get the costs and benefits of the scheme to balance in an affordable way.”


Quote:
The impasse suggests that HS2 chiefs may have to end the line at Old Oak Common, near Harlesden, four miles west of central London – shattering the route’s city centre to city centre appeal, adding time to journeys and further harming the scheme’s already poor business case. Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London, has said he would withdraw his support for HS2 if it ended at Old Oak Common, calling it the “Ryanair solution, stopping in the middle of nowhere.”

Author:  john [ Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:08 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HS2 to be quietly shelved.

To me it always was a non starter , its jobs in the north thats needed , not in London
london is allready overcrowded , and needs thining out
Now small regional airports yes

Author:  Father Ted [ Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:12 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: HS2 to be quietly shelved.

john wrote:
To me it always was a non starter , its jobs in the north thats needed , not in London
london is allready overcrowded , and needs thining out
Now small regional airports yes


I know post war partition was a factor, but it doesn't affect the Germans too badly having their centres of government, finance, media etc all spread around different cities. Their basis of regional administration probably functions better as well.

London's only a good place to live if you've a large income and a nice house in Zones 1-4, preferably close to a tube station.

Author:  Kremmen [ Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:41 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HS2 to be quietly shelved.

I missed that but I wonder if the dosh has been diverted into these roads schemes instead ?

I used HS1 earlier in the year and I almost had a carriage to myself. I wonder if they've done some sums.

Author:  Jon [ Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:58 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HS2 to be quietly shelved.

I bet those road schemes don't happen! It's easy to say they're gonna spend 15 billion on roads now, once the next election has come and gone doubt if much of it will actually happen.

Author:  Kremmen [ Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:14 am ]
Post subject:  Re: HS2 to be quietly shelved.

I've often wondered how previous Gov's promises are dealt with by an incoming new Gov.

The A303 by Stonehenge is a bottleneck but I don't see the point in expensive tunnelling. Why not just divert with a dual carriageway?

I'm still convinced it's often better to leave it as is. As the pundits say, give more road and they will plonk more cars on it making no difference. Traffic jams are self policing to a degree that some will use other routes or public transport to avoid sitting for hours in jams.

My vote is keep the current network but resurface it.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/