WESTLONDONCHAT.COM
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/

Thatcher The Other Side of the Story
https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1212
Page 1 of 1

Author:  geezer466 [ Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:48 am ]
Post subject:  Thatcher The Other Side of the Story

Interesting article which perhaps shows a side of Maggie Thatcher few knew existed.

http://johnpilger.com/articles/dance-on-thatcher-s-grave-but-remember-there-has-been-a-coup-in-britain

Quote:
Patrick Warby's daughter, Marie, was one of them. Marie, aged five, suffered from a bowel deformity and needed a special diet. Without it, the pain was excruciating. Her father was a Durham miner and had used all his savings. It was winter 1985, the Great Strike was almost a year old and the family was destitute. Although her eligibility was not disputed, Marie was denied help by the Department of Social Security. Later, I obtained records of the case that showed Marie had been turned down because her father was "affected by a Trade dispute".


Quote:
The corruption and inhumanity under Thatcher knew no borders. When she came to power in 1979, Thatcher demanded a total ban on exports of milk to Vietnam. The American invasion had left a third of Vietnamese children malnourished. I witnessed many distressing sights, including infants going blind from a lack of vitamins.

Author:  Moley [ Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:56 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Thatcher The Other Side of the Story

I think even Margaret Thatcher may have baulked at imposing the so called 'bedroom tax' which often penalises the most vulnerable in our society. Still the 5p in the £ pound tax cut for the well off has to be funded somehow I suppose.

Author:  geezer466 [ Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:22 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Thatcher The Other Side of the Story

Moley wrote:
I think even Margaret Thatcher may have baulked at imposing the so called 'bedroom tax' which often penalises the most vulnerable in our society. Still the 5p in the £ pound tax cut for the well off has to be funded somehow I suppose.


Has the so called bedroom tax affected you?

Author:  Jon [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:54 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thatcher The Other Side of the Story

How's that the other side of the story?? That's the side we always hear from lefties like Pilger. I would imagine the DSS rules limiting help for people who'd chosen to go on strike probably pre-dated Maggie's premiership. As for the rest of it, who knows... but I wouldn't take Pilger's word for it.

Author:  Kremmen [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thatcher The Other Side of the Story

I wasn't really paying attention when she was in but what I do remember is that the Unions were wrecking the country big-time and she turned it around.

Author:  geezer466 [ Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:59 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Thatcher The Other Side of the Story

These things either happened or they didn't. Pilger for all his other faults is just a conduit putting the information in the public domain.

Quote:
In 1983, Thatcher sent the SAS to train the "coalition" in its own distinctive brand of terrorism. Seven-man SAS teams arrived from Hong Kong, and British soldiers set about training "resistance fighters" in laying minefields in a country devastated by genocide and the world's highest rate of death and injury as a result of landmines.

I reported this at the time, and more than 16,000 people wrote to Thatcher in protest. "I confirm," she replied to opposition leader Neil Kinnock, "that there is no British government involvement of any kind in training, equipping or co-operating with the Khmer Rouge or those allied to them." The lie was breathtaking. In 1991, the government of John Major admitted to parliament that the SAS had indeed trained the "coalition". "We liked the British," a Khmer Rouge fighter later told me. "They were very good at teaching us to set booby traps. Unsuspecting people, like children in paddy fields, were the main victims."


I haven't looked but both these statements (Thatcher and Major in 1991) if true will be on the record in Hansard.

I would have thought the fact a sitting PM lying to the House of Commons is as low as you can get..

Yes she did curtail the Trade Unions through the 80's and significantly reduced their influence and at the time that was clearly necessary, but 30 years on we can see the knock on effects.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/