| WESTLONDONCHAT.COM https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/ |
|
| Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed https://b65a9t-westlondonchatcom-7590.site.tb-hosting.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1109 |
Page 1 of 3 |
| Author: | SOT [ Wed May 15, 2013 11:12 am ] |
| Post subject: | Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
How can I get rid of a squirrel in my shed? He scurries around in a large 'loft' type area and comes and goes as he pleases. I have removed his nest, boxed in all the holes I can see, but the little git seems to be able to pass thru the smallest holes. I have even resorted to putting down rat poison, but he seems wise to that! I am now considering getting a rat trap which is a bigger version of a sprung loaded mouse trap, but that doesn't seem the the most humane method. I have named him Abu Qatada as he is most certainly not wanted here, but like Theresa May, as much as I try I cant do anything to get rid of him This rodent terrorist has caused considerable damage so far and I would like to deport him asap Any ideas??? |
|
| Author: | Kremmen [ Wed May 15, 2013 11:23 am ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
I can only think of keeping on trying to find the hole the 'git' is finding to get in. That would be my first job. |
|
| Author: | Batty bat [ Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
Have you tried somewhere like B&Q? To if they sell some repellant. Maybe you might find a home brew on Google. I just found this:- Here’s another recipe for a hot pepper repellant: One chopped yellow onion One chopped Jalapeno pepper One tablespoon of Cayenne pepper Boil all ingredients for 20 minutes in two quarts of water. Let the mixture cool. Strain it through cheesecloth. Apply with a pesticide sprayer or a spray bottle. While this reportedly works against virtually all animals, it is only effective for three to five days. |
|
| Author: | Sunshine [ Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
My husband used to shoot them with an air rifle He'll chew his way through everything if you let him. Let's hope you get rid of the little pest soon. They are "tree rats" and can get through the tiniest of holes like mice. I would go for the rat trap - it might not be humane but it will be a quick death. |
|
| Author: | geezer466 [ Wed May 15, 2013 2:57 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
I had them in my loft some years ago. This time of year they are up to rumpties for breeding and like somewhere nice, dry and warm to 'do the deed' and bring up the litter. In my case they made a nest out of the insulation. I tried most of what you are considering and nothing worked blocked up the hole in the eaves where they were getting in destroyed their nest I even put a radio up in the loft hoping the voices would scare them off. Even tuned it to radio 4. Turned out they bloody enjoyed current affairs. Later I got a man with a cage come round and put in the left but they were not interested in that either. One day I was in the back garden and saw one of them hop over the fence scurry up a tree run along an extended branch (from my neighbours garden) and jump onto my roof. Later on I went up into the loft and scared them all out. By this time the young were pretty mobile. Went out back got a ladder and sawed off this branch at the fence line. That solved the problem as they had no other way of reaching the ingress point so never came back. Last I heard they had found a nice cozy shed over the back somewhere.... |
|
| Author: | SOT [ Wed May 15, 2013 3:20 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
geezer466 wrote: Last I heard they had found a nice cozy shed over the back somewhere.... Abu Qatada has been in my garden this afternoon. He is putting on a show and looks like he is eating leaves and whatnot. But every so often, he is giving me the eye and I swear he gave me the middle finger earlier. This is war I am off on my hols at the end of the week and I reckon my shed will be a heap of sawdust when I get back. |
|
| Author: | Sunshine [ Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
Hubby has just scared one off from our bird table- they are really cheeky. Nothing much seems to bother them. Luckily they don't go into our shed, they just eat the bird food. They sell rat traps in B &Q |
|
| Author: | Kremmen [ Wed May 15, 2013 3:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
Sunshine wrote: Hubby has just scared one off from our bird table- they are really cheeky. Nothing much seems to bother them. Luckily they don't go into our shed, they just eat the bird food. They sell rat traps in B &Q Got a Karcher |
|
| Author: | geezer466 [ Wed May 15, 2013 4:22 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
Borrow a family members cat for a week. Put food and water in the shed and lock it in there for a few days. Squirrel will get the message........ |
|
| Author: | Westonman [ Wed May 15, 2013 4:45 pm ] |
| Post subject: | Re: Abu Qatada Lives in my Shed |
SOT, I have had a lot of trouble with squirrels. I strongly recommend you obtain a squirrel trap. I have two. They are a cage constructed of a stout wire with a trigger released trap door at one end. The trap is about 15cms square and about 60cms in length, with the long length laying on the floor/ground, making the trap 15cms wide and 15cms high. There is a bait tray at the closed end of the trap, which when activated causes the trap-door at the other end of the 60cm trap to drop behind the squirrel. I place peanut butter on the bait tray. Squirrels can't resist peanuts. Between my two traps I have caught as many as 5 squirrels in one day. Squirrels are officially vermin, and must NOT be released once caught. Squirrels can also be quite nasty and vicious when caught, so it is best NOT to get too close to them without strongly gloved hands once you have them in a trap. They must be humanely killed. |
|
| Page 1 of 3 | All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ] |
| Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group http://www.phpbb.com/ |
|