News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 1806
Kremmen wrote:
I feel guilty in this thread as I'm on the verge of retiring early due to recent circumstances and giving my job away. I certainly won't miss the daily commute between Yeading and Woking taking in the By-Pass, M4 past Heathrow and the western section of the M25. On a Thu/Fri evening rush hour that can take up to 1½ hours just to do 21 miles.

I've had my pension quotations and I can easily afford to retire. Only snag for them is that I have unique business knowledge so I'm open to part-time offers once my pension starts. Even though I've been on holiday this week I've had 3 calls for advice :)
Don't feel guilty, just take the money and retire Kremmen. I did the same and retired early; best thing I ever did. The older you get the greater the risk that your health will begin to deteriorate; leave it too long and you may not have much retirement to enjoy. If you don't need the money, then don't even bother with part-time work, you will only be paying more Income Tax on your pension and savings anyway.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Very true.

Not having retired yet I'm just a bit concerned about getting bored after a while (only a bit though).

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
Kremmen wrote:
Very true.

Not having retired yet I'm just a bit concerned about getting bored after a while (only a bit though).

I don't know how I found time to go to work. always plenty to do, the difference is, she has more time to do it, and nothing is that urgent, it cant wait until tomorrow, when the wife is less tired, ;)

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
jim wrote:
Kremmen wrote:
Very true.

Not having retired yet I'm just a bit concerned about getting bored after a while (only a bit though).

I don't know how I found time to go to work. always plenty to do, the difference is, she has more time to do it, and nothing is that urgent, it cant wait until tomorrow, when the wife is less tired, ;)


That was the trigger Jim - 'she' is no longer with us since Oct 15th (RIP). Having had quite a bit of time off to sort things out I now wonder why I need to still keep chasing round the M25 5 days a week.

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am
Posts: 1294
Location: Floating on a cloud
Kremmen wrote:
jim wrote:
Kremmen wrote:
Very true.

Not having retired yet I'm just a bit concerned about getting bored after a while (only a bit though).

I don't know how I found time to go to work. always plenty to do, the difference is, she has more time to do it, and nothing is that urgent, it cant wait until tomorrow, when the wife is less tired, ;)


That was the trigger Jim - 'she' is no longer with us since Oct 15th (RIP). Having had quite a bit of time off to sort things out I now wonder why I need to still keep chasing round the M25 5 days a week.


:( Very sorry to hear that Kremmen. My sincere condolences.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Moley wrote:

:( Very sorry to hear that Kremmen. My sincere condolences.


Indeedy add me to to this list.....Sorry to hear of your loss.

In terms of retirement it puts a whole now aspect upon it. If the numbers add up you would be a fool not too!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Thanks

It certainly was an eye opener. Even though it was sort of expected it still came as a shock when it happened. As some may recall she had a serious spinal problem (already had 3 x 7 hours ops to fix it after it collapsed down one side) and an on-going heart problem (VT and AF). To add to the list she had contracted an infection about a year ago that refused to budge no matter what they gave her. She lost 2 stone in 2 months and our GP did very little, 7½ stone before the Op. Initial PM revealed absolutely nothing wrong with any organs so it's off to inquest after toxicology and pathology. So far no results from either of them.

So, 4th spinal OP where the cage and rods were coming out as the spine had finally fused and just as he gave the order to close the wound she just gave up. They tried for an hour with the crash pads and other stuff but absolutely no response.

Out of pain at last :)

Anyone into pain medication she was on:

Morphine
Tramadol
Pregabalin
Co-Codemol

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:46 am
Posts: 1806
Very sorry to hear your news Kremmen. I too would like offer my condolences.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:52 pm 
Westonman wrote:
Very sorry to hear your news Kremmen. I too would like offer my condolences.


+1


Top
  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
My sincere condolences also Kremmen. losing a life partner must hurt to the root's. I have had mine over 60 years now and is my right arm. They say Time is the great healer, Take care.

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke