News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 7:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
Ohhhh don't get me started on shoppers in petrol stations !!! Long Lane is a nightmare - waiting 20 mins to get on a pump while Mrs Dilly pants browses Marks & Spencer ready meals ............. grrrrrrrrr.......

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
I hate those too. I won't use the Esso station in Cowley because if the people buying groceries - I always go to the Shell one near Tesco.

If they are going to sell groceries in a petrol station then please let us pay for petrol at a dedicated cash desk if we want to. Arghh!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:16 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:09 am
Posts: 463
It wouldn't be difficult would it - to have dedicated tills for fuel. But I still wouldn't use the petrol station because of idiots parking on the pump - blocking them for 20 minutes while they do the shopping :(

_________________
I do not suffer fools !!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Posts: 1461
jane wrote:
It wouldn't be difficult would it - to have dedicated tills for fuel. But I still wouldn't use the petrol station because of idiots parking on the pump - blocking them for 20 minutes while they do the shopping :(

I wont queue for anything, as I never leave too the very end, and need whatever I am buying, If there is a line I move on or drive to the next garage, I work on the principle they are there to serve me, if they don't then move on, its their loss not mine.

_________________
Its not always the biggest and the bestest, its them that make the least mistakes.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:50 pm
Posts: 65
Back to the original topic albeit Waitrose "Quick Check". This I have used for about 10 years and I find it superb.
Using their hand scanners as I go round the store. About once every 2-3 months I have to have a rescan which is randomly selected by the system.
It really comes into it's own on Christmas Eve when all the tills have queues all the way up the aisles and the "Quick Check" has about 2 in the queue and only takes about 2 mins per customer.
Phil :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
I remember when they first started that at Waitrose - my boss's wife loved it and used it every week. Then they started checking her, which took ages.

She didn't mind the first time but they did it the following week and she complained to the manager and told him that this wasn't saving her time and if they didn't stop checking her trolley then she would go through the checkout in future. She was given compensation and an apology (can't remember now how much she was given but it was cash)

I think she went through the checkouts after that anyway


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Peeps have to remember all this automation is putting other peeps out of work.

The big supermarkets are doing it to save money on their wage bills.

I refuse to use them out of principle even when someone moves down the large 'q' and suggests we can use the auto tills, I simply say no as I am looking out for your and your colleagues jobs.

Like Jim I take the view they are there to serve me. I am not unpaid labour for them; scanning, packing my own groceries.

Be aware unless this sort of thing is checked sooner or later they may be looking to automate your job.

As for garages I bite my lip and get in the Q. The cheaper fuel works against my principles on these occasions although I only do it when there is no other option. I would rather take the car down early or late when there are no ques.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
I remembered your comments yesterday when I had one item to pay for in Tesco and queued up at the cashier that was dealing with baskets. I waited and waited while he tried to solve a problem then got fed up and went on the self service till so I could get out of the shop quickly.

I think some of the staff need a bit more training .........


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:21 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
I'm quite happy to wait in a short queue and use the normal checkouts.

If I scanned my stuff and was instructed to go to a normal checkout for a double check I wouldn't be happy, especially if it meant joining a queue I could have been further into.

Still don't know how this self scan works. Do you scan and load the stuff into your bags as you go round or do you have to do some loading in the small self scan pay area ?

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tesco Scanners
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
You put your basket on one side then scan the stuff one thing at a time and put it on the other side (the bagging area) where the plastic bags are. The machine knows the precise weight of everything so there's absolutely no cheating. I hate it when you get that voice saying "Unexpected item in bagging area"

It throws a wobbly if you dare to put your own bags on the bagging area :lol:

It's fairly easy in Tesco but I would rather go to a checkout with an operative.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke