Jon wrote:
My mum worked at Chibnalls.
I did a day's agency work at Chibnalls which involved washing & shunting the lorries around when the returned from their rounds. It was awful. It was freezing cold which meant the truck washer was frozen, so me (and 2 others) tried using a bucket and brush until the ground froze.
The two others didn't speak English and we had to wait for trucks in a sort of tiny 1 man car park boot, fitted with a 3KW heater and no seats. It was hot in there & -2C outside. Afte a couple of hours of silence with these guys, I ventured into the rather grubby canteen for a cuppa to find all the workers were in an Asian language and none appeared to speak English. Even tannoy announcements were in another tongue as were newspapers and magazines which were laying about.
I worked until 12 and went home as I couldn't stand another 5 hours of extreme heat then freezing cold and silence!!!