Kremmen wrote:
the latest is that BG are considering giving their customers on Smart Meters free electricity on Saturdays to relieve pressure during the week.
Now is it worth getting a Smart Meter or is it a con and I'll end up paying more overall ?
The golden rule is: there is nothing free in this world.
I shan't be having a smart meter until I am compelled to have one by law. Currently the law doesn't require me have a smart meter (I wrote to the Department for Energy and Climate Change and asked whether I am compelled to have a smart meter when offered one by the energy supplier- they wrote and told me that I am not required to have one).
Smart meters are a snooper's/burglar's key into our homes and private lives. Smart meters also enable the energy supplier to change/increase prices at any time of night or day without warning.
Smart meters require power to operate their electronics and wireless communications, and guess which side of the power meter is likely to be paying for all that. Smart meters are in micro-wave wireless communication with the supplier, which means inside every smart meter is a micro-wave transmitter of unknown power, and in our homes.
With an appropriate wireless scanner it is possible to read and interrogate every RFID chip in our homes; chips that could be in our credit cards, fridge, TV, telephone, anywhere. How do we know what the capability of a smart meter micro-wave link is? If the smart does have the abilty to read every RFID chip in our homes then do we trust the energy supplier to tell us what the capabilities are? I don't.
I do know that modern new cars are fitted as standard with a lot of data gathering capability about our driving methods and standards (an aircraft type black box), data that can be used to find us guilty in the event of an incident the authorities choose to investigate. How many motor manufacturers fully explain the data gathering capability of their new cars to a customer? I don't know of one, and I have asked a motor dealer to explain to me the full capabilities of the on-board data gathering systems. He admitted it was there, but either wasn't prepared to tell me the full details, or wasn't able to. The dealer did confess though that the data could be used to prosecute me.
Smart meters are like smart cars, uninvited guests into our private lives. Guests that could turn round and bite us whenever the authorities so choose.
What kind of government is it that permits/encourages the spying of our private lives without first seeking our democratic approval? Answer: A government with dictatorial aspirations.
P.S: Anybody considering having a smart meter installed should first check with their supplier that the customer will continue to have the freedom to change supplier in the future. I hear there are serious questions over this freedom to change supplier after a smart meter has been installed.