News, views & chat from the people of West London
Hillingdon, 
London Borough, News, Pictures, Chat
truth
MAIN INDEX | PHOTOS | HAYES | UXBRIDGE
+ + Check out the LATEST photos! + + JOIN THE DEBATES + + IT'S GOOD TO TALK! + +
WELCOME

It is currently Mon Oct 05, 2026 5:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Big Issue Sellers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:06 pm
Posts: 1307
Is it me or do they seem to be more 'forceful' these days?

Yet another abuse has been allowed to develop (by crazy EU regulation) of what seemed like a great idea to assist homeless people earn money....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... efits.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Issue

Quote:
Migration

The accession of several Central and Eastern European countries to the European Union in 2004 led to the increased migration to the UK of residents of those countries. When Romania and Bulgaria joined the EU in 2007, the right of their residents (termed "A2 nationals") to work in Britain was limited to the self-employed, highly skilled migrants, and food and agricultural workers.[11] The Big Issue, whose vendors are classed as self-employed, offers an opportunity for A2 migrants to work in the UK. By 2011, around half of Big Issue sellers in the north of England were of Romani origin, many of whom having migrated from Romania and Bulgaria.[12] In London, 30% of rough sleepers are Eastern European.[1] In 2012, a Romanian Big Issue vendor obtained a court ruling which confirmed that she is entitled, as a self-employed person, to receive housing benefit.[13] The Big Issue has been criticised for enabling migrants to access the benefits system in this way.[14] The magazine responded by asserting its role in reducing benefit dependency, highlighting British Prime Minister David Cameron's description of it as 'a fantastic example of how we can reduce dependence on state hand-outs'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Big Issue Sellers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:14 pm
Posts: 659
There was one on the stairs to Westminster tube tonight in the rush, taking up 25% of the stair width. Obstructing potential punters is not gunna increase his sales!

I would love to support this cause, but I really don't like the magazine

About three years ago, being a bit moved by watching Westminster council workers washing the pavements and anyone sleeping on them in Victoria street at 06:00 , I voluntarily (not chugged) pledged a monthly a donation online to Centre Point homeless charity. Now this mob can hard sell!! I would receive letters and spam from them weekly trying to squeeze more cash from me until I got so fed up I cancelled my donation.

The spam has slowed, but the letters haven't. More recently, I have been getting post from other charities seemingly passed (sold) onto them. I know this as I made a slight typo on my name when I set up the donation and the letters from Centre Point have always shown that typo. The new letters also show the same spelling mistake.

I will never ever give to charity by monthly donation again as they can't be trusted to be sensible with personal details


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Big Issue Sellers
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm
Posts: 888
There is often a Big Issue seller outside Iceland in Yiewsley. She doesn't have good English and sits on the floor asking you to buy a copy of the magazine.

The guy in Uxbridge that drove us all crazy for several years seems to have disappeared. Result!!!!

The magazine isn't a good one so I only ever bought one copy (many years ago)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Big Issue Sellers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:45 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:47 am
Posts: 2873
Location: Dog House
Same in Woking, a woman who can't speak English so everyone gets a "Good morning madam" :lol:

My answer to all these chuggers is that I don't carry cash, which happens to be true. I tend to leave all my loose change at home and my wallet locked in my desk as when I go out for ½ hour at lunchtime as I find it's cheaper :D

_________________
Lets be careful out there !


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  




LOCAL RESIDENTS AND BUSINESS: YOU CAN ADVERTISE TOTALLY FREE OF CHARGE IN OUR ADS SECTIONS!!

ARTICLES WANTED, ARTICLES FOR SALE, PLUMBERS, PIZZAS, ELECTRICIANS, ESTATE AGENTS, ACCOMMODATION WANTED OR FOR RENT, FLATS, ROOMS, HOLIDAYS & TRAVEL, JOBS AGENCIES, TRADESMEN & WOMEN, MOTORS, DRIVING LESSONS, HGV TRAINING, VOLUNTARY GROUPS... JUST REGISTER AND POST YOUR FREE AD, IT'S THAT SIMPLE. NO CATCH! TELL YOUR FRIENDS.

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

London Borough of Hillingdon Chat - Main Index

Christmas music Merelbeke